black woodpecker sighting?

Earlier this morning I was cycling through Ashton Court in Bristol, and heard a woodpecker noise.  I looked over and in a tree hollow there was a medium-sized bird, which looked entirely black, that looked back at me and then turned around to carry on tapping at the tree with its beak.

I've had a look online and this appears to be a black woodpecker, which is unusual for the UK..?  Should I be reporting this anywhere?

• Yes, Pete, but you have experience and knowledge on your side.

If you're telling me that I could sketch a Bald Eagle and write a description and then get that accepted then we're in a whole heap of trouble.

You must know yourself the plethora of arguments/debates - and deliberate false reporting too especially by twitchers and their tick lists - throughout birding history so in today's birding world, which again, is what I am talking about and not the past, then current technology is a great help.

Judging reports made by someone who has experience and knowledge to those with neither, well, I know whose id I would trust more.

But again, it's the suggestions made by non-birders that irks me and not their reports. Just make a report and let those with greater knowledge put forward suggestions.

I want to encourage new birders as the more people with a passion for birds then the better the future will be.
  • Hi

current technology is not foolproof- we've had faked photos of model birds, cut-outs and photos taken in other countries ( flora was a giveaway ) submitted to BBRC and county recorders

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I agree with Robbo- mainly because it would have to be a huge feeder for a BWP to sit on it :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Wow! Those green woodpecker shots are fabulous. We have what I think is lesser spotted woodpecker but he’s not been for a while. Do they migrate in winter?

Best Wishes,

Dawn
  • Dave - you've totally got me wrong and to dissect my comments with a fine-toothed comb, well that says more about you than it does me.

And I haven't 'mocked' anyone - especially you - you are being overly sensitive here.

And to accuse me of attacking newbies, which I haven't, but then to attack me?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

BTW I am an RSPB member too - not just a part-time poster on this website.
  • I also will refrain from getting involved in the current replies but only want to say that the reason I chose to join this forum about 10 years ago with absolutely no experience whatsoever on birds (and still without anything but basic knowledge ! ) was the fact this was a non-stuffy community where no questions were considered stupid and everyone was welcome to put forward any photo/post/question without fearing being laughed at or mocked. It has, to the most part, been a very welcoming friendly community where everyone can jump in with their ideas or at least point people in the right direction to get advice or assistance. The majority of people on here are like-minded, always helpful in polite manner and go to huge effort and trouble to try answer questions even if they are not experts on the subject. You will see most members will include the words "in my humble opinion" or "it could possibly be, looks like,, etc. " or adding links to more information. We are fortunate to have quite a few very knowledgeable and well respected birders on here who also try their best to ID birds or answer other questions and even if they only give the name of the bird with no other elaboration, they are not being curt but only trying to assist, not everyone rambles on with unnecessary utterings like me LOL
    Let's continue to enjoy this wonderful community where nobody should be hesitant in posting questions, photos or asking for advice or ID, As Dave says, when we all started our interest in birdwatching or wildlife, we knew nothing. I really appreciate how many many people on here have helped me be able to ID more than a Blue Tit ! Long may this friendly community reign as we are all equal on here although some have a huge amount of valuable skills that I personally am thankful for and the fact they will take time out to answer.

Regards, Hazel 

• Please, it's the reports on here that make grandiose identifications that are exasperating and not someone trying to figure out if it is a Great Tit or a Coal Tit or not - those questions are most welcomed.

But the lack of photographic evidence from a new poster will undoubtedly make that id harder if not nigh on impossible - again, that is not a criticism aimed at those posters but a question that needs addressing 'did you get a photo?'

Again, my comments on new technology are not meant as a criticism either - they are guiding the poster to possibly think of getting a photograph of the said bird because that will help with id and that technology is there for them to use, which they might not have considered.

I think we can safely say the majority of people who have at least a basic phone will have some sort of camera built within it - again, I am not getting at those in the minority who do not have any sort of camera or device.

No photo or no camera? Fine, then a detailed report is great - just not one suggesting they've seen a Dartford warbler outside their local Nandos (written with humour intended).

If people are getting upset because somebody asks 'did you get a photo?' then I'm sorry but that person needs to develop a thicker skin.

Last thing, and again said for the umpteenth time, it is not posters asking what bird they have seen but posters who say 'I've just seen a Golden Eagle on my bird feeder' (I have written that again with exaggerated humour intended and it is not a personal criticism of anybody) that makes you take a deep breath.
  • Hi guys-

now I'm intrigued- where you calling in from Dave?

:)

S