night visitor

hi all, i live in the Neath area of South Wales and for the last few nights (anytime from 11pm till about 4am) i have been hearing a rather strange noise i thought it was geese but on listening further i now know it isn't i am starting to wonder if it could possibly be an eagel owl.  anyone got any ideas on this.

• Patricia M said:

Hi Taffy,

Have you checked if there are any records of eagle owls or other unusual owls being in your area?

That should help narrow the field a bit!

:-)

Andy

not yet but will do thanks

• gonna try to record it tonight if poss.  sound can be heard in Pontneddfechan (pontneathvaughan) close to the Dinas rock if you know where that is.  Listening to owl calls - the closest i have come to the sound is the Scops owl ???? coz the sound is more like geese rather than owl hoots/screeches. 

• Having listened to the eagle owl calls, on the link provided earlier None of the samples sound anything like geese.

Yes I know pontneddfechan, reasonably well (stork heading your way :)), scops are unlikely (but never say never), unless its a captive.

Little owl are quite screechy, have you listened to them?

Lots of woodland around, that area. A recording would be ideal.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• mpiekp said:

Having listened to the eagle owl calls, on the link provided earlier None of the samples sound anything like geese.

Yes I know pontneddfechan, reasonably well (stork heading your way :)), scops are unlikely (but never say never), unless its a captive.

Little owl are quite screechy, have you listened to them?

Lots of woodland around, that area. A recording would be ideal.

yes listened to little owls etc nothing has come as close as a scops i am thinking the same as you has one escaped although when listening closely it sounds like more than one MY VIGIL GOES ON :))))

• ..... been doing some more digging.

Unbelievable, Pontneddfechan was listed as heavily populated with scops owl in the 1890's and one of the best places to view them along the ridge of dinas.

Not impossible that there are still some then, there's enough places to hide there.

Recording would be so cool.

• mpiekp said:

..... been doing some more digging.

Unbelievable, Pontneddfechan was listed as heavily populated with scops owl in the 1890's and one of the best places to view them along the ridge of dinas.

Not impossible that there are still some then, there's enough places to hide there.

Recording would be so cool.

you have been a busy bee but thanks very informative info you have given me.  I will try and tape it ASAP (bet they dont show up tonight)

• this is what the noise sounded like outside my window and it suggest a Great Horned Owl ??

http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Bubo-virginianus-15.mp3

• no nothing like what i heard listened to loads of calls and it always comes back to a scop owl.  not a sound last night so hopefully it will call tonight, i'll try to record it, heres hoping

• Another thought, has cefn-y-erw had anything new?

• hi Taffy

Try Barn owl they make screeching sounds

RAY

a good laugh is better than a tonic