Please help identify bird from its huge daily faeces deposit

Hi

For the past ~4 mornings we have found a massive amount of bird faeces (poo) in the same place on our patio directly below the apex of our roof - right where you access the patio from the house. It's as if a bird has now got into the habit of sitting on the apex of the roof (on the lookout for prey?), and on take-off it immediately deposits its faeces with quite a bit of 'splatter' on the patio and onto our windows.

We are in a very rural location with plenty of owls and other birds of prey around. Based on the nightly quantity of faeces, this must be a large bird that hunts at night. Please see pics of the poo deposits below. To provide a sense of scale, the patio slabs are roughly 45 x 45 cm square.

We'd like to know what type of bird is doing this and how we might encourage it to find a different place to do it. Any suggestions?

• Hi ItisaRobbo

We are in Stirlingshire, and not that far from the sea (<10 miles to Clyde estuary), so yes we see gulls. I've never identified specific types of gulls though, so perhaps I should look closer.

I've spent time in Scottish coastal areas like Aberdeen and Peterhead, and know the immense amount of poo that seabirds can deposit, though generally there's more white substance in their poo than in what we've received (see photos). So, based on quantity, I guess it could be from a gull. Perhaps a gull's diet in rural locations might keep its poo brown?

If the poo was from a bird of prey would there be more evidence of small bones? It appears smooth, sometimes with stringy bits.
  • Thanks very much ItisaRobbo. That's got me thinking outside my box.