Bird of Prey got me stumped

Hello all,

Spotted a long way off, high in sky, back lit with strong light. Basically talking silhouette here. I've mangled photos in a post processor quite aggressively.

I can't work out if its wings really are shaped this way or simply got rather tatty.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• 100% Robbo :)

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• A great bird to see, congratulations for spotting it.
  • God heavens! Thanks all, but ItsaRobbo in particular. He's got me down pat, can't even recognise the back of my hand.

I had hoped it was a Marsh Harrier - or should I say 'The' Marsh Harrier. I did look on the RSPB bird recognition pages, and various online sources, but none seemed to quite match the wing profile.

I saw two birds of prey take off from around the middle of the east of the Manor farm restoration, just north of Manor lake, which Inert have been instructed to fill in - contrary to original plans.

One of the birds hovered, much like a Kestrel, but then again not like a Kestrel. There was none of the frantic wing beating. The blessed creature, already a fair distance from me, decided to gain altitude into a bright sky, and then bank right to fly over the Blackwater river to the Chandlers farm part of the Eversley quarry restoration.

What pleases me, is that this appears to be the same Marsh Harrier that was around the nacent reserve last year. Hopefully there is a breeding pair. Unfortunately, I have the feeling the other bird of prey might have been a buzzrd.

The Marsh Harrier isn't phased by the ongoing restoration. Wednesday, there were two bright blue diggers (one in Manor lake, profiling its south east bank, one by the Bailey bridge over the Blackwater), a bulldozer hairing backwards and forwards, two heavy earth movers (the monsters you see in opencast mines) trundling about dumping soil, and two 18 ton tipper trucks bringing stuff over from Chandlers farm for infill, plus the site foreman's silver pickup.

The Marsh Harrier, and indeed all the birds and animals around the restoration, have realised these vehicles are no danger. To the point, where I am seriously thinking of building a box structure to fit around me (like a robot), painted bright yellow, with a flashing yellow lamp on top, with a recording of vehicle noises. Best hide I can think ot.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.