Sounds like a Corncrake ?

…walking along a rural canal towpath in Nottinghamshire. Across the canal, a small area of mature woodland, a country lane and arable farmland all round.

Couldn’t see it but the call was something I've not heard before – bird was concealed in the wooded area - sounded a lot like this…

www.british-birdsongs.uk/.../

…in particular, the constant repetitive nature of the call was distinctive – it continued for much longer than the bird in the attached sound clip.

sadly, no chance of seeing it.

Does anything else have such a repetitive rasping call?  I've listened to partridge calls but they don't seem to match the constant repetitive bit.

Best regards

• Well, hang on, can we discount a wren alarm call? It's repetetive and harsh (though not rasping), can go on for minutes and far more likely from the habitat. It's a question for the OP; I've never heard a corncrake but i wouldn't be looking up partridge calls if I did. There's a sample call on british birdsongs but it's not very good: the call is usually more strident and goes on for much longer.
  • Iona is certainly a great place to hear and hopefully see Corncrake, the first one my wife heard was in the grassy area opposite the Spa shop just after we got off the ferry. We had to wander round the island quite a lot before she saw her first.