Which Falcon have I seen ?

Twice recently I've fleetingly witnessed a falcon catching small birds on the wing over my house after a fairly level-flying pursuit. It has the size, profile and wing beat of a kestrel. Do kestrels chase prey like a sparrow hawk ?

• As Dave says there could be other candidates. To me it reads like Merlin behaviour but we don't get them flying over peoples houses unless they live in specific areas. Hobbies do catch small birds on the wing, I have seen them catching Sand Martins on our local reserve. If you have a good view you can usually spot their red underparts

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hey guys have we ruled out a Sprawk?

Most people can easily mix the 2 up as they fly past - and, as we all know, it's difficult to tell a lone bird size even when taking prey.

Sprawk seems the obvious candidate.
  • Thanks for your advice folks. There are peregrines in a quarry about two miles away (too large for what I've seen, I think) and I'm doubtful about hobby taking birds of starling size over a town. merlin, I'm sure would be too small. I'll await the next encounter ! Bob
  • Definitely not, it had pointed wings like kestrel/hobby/peregrine.
  • I think that was what I was hinting at when I mentioned some people call all small raptors falcins

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Both Pete and Dave have made good arguments of what it could be - time for you to look to the skies, Bob.

...and if possible, have a camera at hand - and try and catch a video of it too, as shooting against a bright sky might spoil any identification via a photograph/image, but a video would show behaviour and flight pattern which would be more beneficial in this instance (says me).
  • Both observations were so brief, and silhouetted against a bright sky, I couldn't see any markings, never mind the camera opportunity! I'll keep my eyes and ears open to the skies and report any news.

I'm a new kid on this block and it's wonderful to get such experienced opinions so quickly. Thanks folks, I'll be back !
    Rgds
    Bob
  • Just slightly off the original subject but we saw a pair of Hobbies today unfortunately they were stuffed and mounted and in a glass case. It is our wedding aniversary today,48 yrs she wants a medal, and we drove up the Dale to a large saleroom that has a highly recommended cafe. The stuffed birds were on display for an oncoming sale. They looked very well done if you like that sort of thing but I doubt that we will be putting a bid in

Pete

• Congratulations Pete....the question is does your wife deserve that medal lol
    Hope you both have a lovely day ;-)

Just read this so medal is out the question  lol

There is one tradition that is associated with the 48th year wedding anniversary and that is optical goods. It's more of a modern version of a themed gift and that means that you could buy your partner some new prescription glasses, sunglasses or a new pair to replace their old ones.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Love it Linda, I have offered to replace her old bins many times but she is happy with her old porro prism ones as long as she has her Leica scope

Pete