Unidentified bird(?) noise

Hi, I heard this yesterday evening (7.20 pm) in the middle of a fairly large patch of woodland on the Isle of Wight. I can't place it at all - I'm not even sure if it's a bird or not! Does anybody have any idea what it is?

I'm talking about the whistling/wailing noise, not the chiffchaff or goldfinches, in case that's not obvious!

Weird noise.m4a

• Weird noise 3.m4a

So I went back this evening, and I heard it again! Almost exactly the same time.

Unfortunately I only heard it once, so didn't have any luck trying to get closer to the source. So I'm not sure if this recording is any better. You can hear my footsteps as I try and get closer and the chiffchaffs didn't co-operate. But here it is, just in case anyone hears anything familiar in this one.

• Here's an edit of this latest recording  -

Hmmm - still very odd, but I'm starting to think it could possibly be an audible bird scarer.

Bird scarers use distress calls or raptor calls to deter certain birds and they can be played at regular times - you say 'almost exactly the same time' - although many also play sounds randomly.

Because this seems to play at a certain time then it could possibly be an audible device that is preventing roosting - hence the time of evening.

• Thanks again for clearing up the recording!

Yeah it was a bit weird how close in time it was to the previous occasion - within about five minutes. It did make me wonder if it could be something artificial. I presume if it was a bird scaring device of some kind it would play more than once though? I heard it for maybe15 or 20 seconds, waited for about an hour and didn't hear it again. Another thing that crossed my mind is whether it could be produced by wind vibrating something.

I'm going to have to try and get to the bottom of this, though maybe not tonight!
  • Where's my popcorn?

This is better than Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie put together :)
  • I'll keep you updated! I just remembered I know someone who works for the Forestry Commission, so I've sent it to him to see if he or any colleagues have any idea.