Please can you help me identify this bird of prey, I’m sorry the pictures aren’t excellent, but it was a long way away!

Please can you help me identify this bird of prey, I’m sorry the pictures aren’t excellent, but it was a long way away! 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eaqdqx7zRW3wtAociTPPpMyQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/073CVSuPWqfaNMeDoXHbInv6A

Definitely a large brown bird of prey, but would like someone to confirm what I’m thinking please.

• My first thoughts are red kite, but the images are not clear enough for me to be confident.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable may be able give an answer.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Not more knowledgeable; but I wouldn't say kite for that one.

Looks fairly buzzardy to my (presently) tired eyes.

Maybe a Community member can sharpen it up (so sharp we can see what it had for breakfast)?
  • Looks like a Buzzard to me too.
  • I must be doing something wrong as the link says not supported and I cannot open it

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

It's not you, Pete, it's the technology.

But it's working for me in two different browsers.

Dave
  • In reply to Seaman:

Here it is Pete - there seems to be 2 files with one slightly lightened.

I've cropped this image - hope that's okay OP.

• In reply to rspbailey:

Thanks rspb , I spend a lot of time watching raptors but I would not like to call this from this photo. The tail could be Kite but the rest is showing little detail. With raptors it can be difficult on one picture as their jizz can often be the decider. As I'm  in Northumberland  for a few days I am only  on a small  screen  but   from  what  I can  make out female /juvenile  Marsh  Harrier may be possible but  to be honest I'm  just  stabbing  in the  dark 

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• It would be helpful to eliminate possibilities if the poster would say where he saw it.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

I saw it on a holiday to Scotland in the Crieff area
  • To me, it doesn't have the head shape for a Marsh Harrier and the beak shape looks too bulky for a Harrier - as well as not bulky enough for an eagle's beak.

The tail is also wrong for White-tailed.

This bird's head to body proportions still say Common Buzzard - as far as I can make out from this photo.

If it was an eagle then it would look like a barn door in the sky - but a lone bird is always difficult to size.

Can I ask the poster, Custard22, why did you only take the one photo if it was of interest?
    Do you have more photos of the bird - no matter how poor?
    Don't fall into the trap of wanting to see a particular bird - personal guesses are not enough for a true identification.