Where to see long eared owls in yorkshire

Hello,

I have recently been trying to find a long eared owl but I have not been able to. I was hoping someone could recommend a reserve of which you can see them.

any suggestions will be great!

• Kian the L.E.Owl is a very rare bird that is protected, at this time of year not many people will be willing to give site information away unless they know you very well. Nothing personal but they are heavily persecutor in man y areas and also targetted by egg thieves.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi-

when you've been birding awhile you'll make contact with people who know or hear about difficult species.

LEO roost sites arent publicised unless the site is inaccessible and safe from disturbance.

Alternatively if you are visiting good autumn migration sites you will bump into a LEO eventually- Spurn is probably as good a place as any - or check your county 'Where to watch birds in...' book. I think it's by Glenn and Miles ?

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• There’s a village in Romania where they’re reputedly very visible: www.sakertour.com/hidegallery.php
  • Hi Kian as the others have said they are highly protected birds especially at this time of the year, if you have a local birding group you could become a member and you will have access to organised group walks and private info.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Internetman:

Internetman,they are in the city parks in Berlin but that ain't Yorkshire . The Romania  link is worth  following  for the photos 

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Didn't know about Berlin -- I'm overdue a visit there and I understand there are goshawks in the Tiergarten too, so all tips welcome!

Turns out I was thinking of Serbia anyway: www.bbc.co.uk/.../p06vg7hf

leica-nature-blog.com/.../
  • If you want Goshawks Berlin is the place, apparently around 100 pairs there.

My Flickr photos

• I certainly recommend a trip to Berlin if anyone hasn't yet been there (covid permitting). Fascinating place. I saw a goshawk there too, and didn't go looking for them, or have camera or binoculars. Might have just got lucky, but fairly sure I ended up catching glimpses of several. Definitely saw at least one though while being a tourist there to help someone with her A Level Deutsch.

're long eared owls, surely best to see them in late Autumn and Winter?
  • Robbo, people watching L E Owls will be watching them all year round, winter time does make it a little easier to see then in their roost due to the lack of foliage on the bushes.

Pete