Help to identify a bird

Hello! We were walking in the woodlands of Durris (Northeast Scotland) recently and saw a tiny brownish-grey bird, smaller than a tit, with a round blue and dark grey 'eye' shaped marking on its wing, similar to that seen on a butterfly's wing. It was flitting around in amongst the trees, close to the ground. It was daytime.

Can anyone help us to identify this bird? We've been looking for ages and can't seem to find any information on it.

Sorry but it was too quick to get a picture!

Thanks in advance!

• Your description doesn't seem to fit anything I know of - could be a migrant but then it still sounds peculiar.

And you state that it was too quick to get a picture so maybe it was too quick to make such a clear identification?
  • Light can play tricks with bird colours and I can't think of anything that fits your description;     using your references, smaller than a tit,  round eye shaped marking on wing and flitting amongst the trees I can only think of a Goldcrest like this one ......

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

That's a good shout Hazel especially as the person who saw it watched it 'flitting' around - which Goldcrests do.

I think you've got it.
  • In reply to HAZY:

Hi Hazel,

Sorry forgot to check for responses before now!

That's a great suggestion but sadly it doesn't look anything like what I saw.

There wasn't any yellow on the bird at all. It was quick but definitely could make out the markings. I have asked some local birdwatchers I know and they couldn't think of anything either, but did suggest it could be a European bird.

Thanks for your help!
  • Seem to be a lot of people asking for goldcrest I.d recently. I agree with Hazy, and would add that the 'gold/yellow' often isn't visible, esp when looking up at one. The fact it was so small rules pretty much everything else out, so not surprised nothing else has been suggested.