Bird IDs Please

Saw these birds overhead today but were too fast for me to get a decent Pic

There were 2 of these flying over

And 4 of these

any ideas shall be very much appreciated

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I think the second bird could be a lapwing - not sure about the first.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Thanks Clare...ano they are terrible pics but just thought I would ask anyhow

• Pretty much impossible to be definite from these pics I would say, but knowing which way the bird in the second pic is flying might possibly help. I don't see Lapwing though as (if the bird is flying left to right) the white isn't extensive enough towards the tail, or (flying right to left) the white isn't exteinding up the chest enough and it is too long necked. Also there is no white underwing showing which rules out Lapwing.

Where were the pics taken? The first bird puts me in mind of overhead views I had of a Short Eared Owl I watched coming in off the sea a couple of weeks ago.
  • In reply to Mr. B:

It's funny you should say Short-Eared Owl because that was actually my initial thought too lol. It reminded me a lot of a couple of my Short-Eared Owl sightings.. But without scale they're both difficult to ID. I agree that the bottom bird is definitely not a Lapwing though.
  • In reply to Mr. B:

I know it was a long shot. Bird A was flying north at 12.40pm Bird B was in a group of 4 came from north but seemed to do a little circle in sky before flying east...my intial though was oh I hope they are Owls but they were pretty high above my house in Lanarkshire Scotland and this was at 8.40am

• Sorry Linda I meant which way in the pic is the bird flying, left to right or right to left? Then we will know which end is which, ie is the long bit its tail, or its neck ?It looks like it’s going left to right, but if it’s going right to left it looks more duck-like!
  • In reply to Mr. B:

Oh right...the white part is the head so yes left to right