Regular continuous monotone 'chip' ...

Bird unsighted in urban trees /hedges - call is very regular continuous monotone 'chip' at about 1 a second - not loud but noticeable despite traffic - not tuneful or even a 'note' really - at first I seriously assumed it was an electronic device. Sometimes it does some other cadence but not often.

Also at the end of June but have had windows open for a while, so assuming it's a visitor that's just arrived?

• Just a guess really but it could be a Dunnock. At this time of year after the breeding season they largely stop singing and revert to regular contact calls. Not so much a chip but more like a high pitched squeak. This is the typical call they make.

Jack Berteau, XC289867. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/289867.

Even now they do break into song and this is what it sounds like.

Patrik Åberg, XC27116. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/27116.

Am I on the right track or do we need a rethink?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Tony, thanks for the quick response.

Sorry to say, not the one - yours is regular but much more tuneful 'bip' - and the song itself is a symphony. All mine does is variations on 'bip'!

I wish I could record this but the human noise would drown it.
  • I have this every day now ... mine's a male Chaffinch like the one in this vid 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Now I can see why mere words are imprecise...!

Sorry but this chaffinch is much more 'birdy' ie a real 'cheep', whereas 'mine' is literally electronic-like-

I did think it was an alert say for a boiler or something. Not urgent like an alarm but relentlessly regular. And it has no 'tone'. Sorry my knowledge of birds and sound science is poor...
  • Here's a link to baby house sparrow calling incessantly ... www.google.com/url

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hilldale said:
    Not urgent like an alarm but relentlessly regular. And it has no 'tone'.

It is difficult going from a description as opposed to a recording but one possibility not yet discussed is a Chiffchaff - I think they are the definition of relentless and monotonous with one tone repeated frequently and endlessly, sometimes for hours, and many are still "singing" despite being here for months. They can be very difficult to spot too at this time of year, often sitting high up in trees behind foliage.

Nige   Flickr

• Appreciate that this was 5 years ago but if you're still wondering, I'm almost certain this is a wren. When you hear their call in videos etc it's normally the song but that atonal trill is a common noise that they make. If it's more erratic mixed with song and sounds really like a 90s modem, then it's a goldfinch!