please - is this a manky mallard?

Saw this at the mouth of the Esk, Musselburgh - thought I'd seen something new but I think it is probably a manky mallard (though is a nice looking duck - not at all "manky"!!) - I would be grateful if somebody could please confirm (or otherwise)

see my photos on Flickr  http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggyn/

• Yes, it certainly looks like a hybrid mallard!

• Unknown said:
    Yes, it certainly looks like a hybrid mallard!

Strictly speaking an hybrid is the offspring of two separate species. For example, the result of the sexual liaison between a Canada Goose and a Greylag (not uncommon) or a Tufted Duck and a Pochard (less common but it still happens). As I understand it a Manky Mallard is the result of selective breeding from the original wild Mallard rather in the same way as the different dog breeds were derived from wolves.

@Maggy, your duck looks to me like a variety of domestic Swedish Blue (or Black) ducks but don't hold me to it LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I think so, too,Maggy.   Even  saw a very  similar  looking  one  (same white spot) with  two or three young last year.  

• Thanks very much for your replies.  TeeJay - thanks a lot for the detailed explanation - very helpful :)

see my photos on Flickr  http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggyn/

• Unknown said:
    Strictly speaking an hybrid is the offspring of two separate species.

If only that was how the word was always used Teejay, it would make things so much simpler!

Unfortunately 'hybrid' is also commonly used to describe crosses between distinct breeds/varieties within the same species of animal or plant.

Unknown said:
    As I understand it a Manky Mallard is the result of selective breeding from the original wild Mallard rather in the same way as the different dog breeds were derived from wolves.

Correct. It is a term coined by an American birder and is typically used when referring to any Mallards that show characteristics of human derived 'breeds' (although some people restrict the use of the term to Mallards that aren't clearly either 'wild type' or 'pure bred' - i.e. the ones that are the equivalent of 'mongrels' in domestic dogs). 

All domestic ducks, that are kept for meat or eggs rather that as birds in a collection, are derived from two species: Mallard, and the South American Muscovy Duck. The vast majority are breeds of Mallard.

Usually it isn't possible to assign 'Manky Mallards' to any particular breed, but I'd agree that this one does 'show characteristics' reminiscent of Swedish Blue (that doesn't necessarily mean that it does have that breed in its parentage though!).