Ravens in my garden now. Are they scaring robins, dunnocks and wrens from eating bird food in my garden now? How can they return?

Hi all, 

I placed winter bird food in my garden with fresh water and I had regular visitors or Robins, wrens and dunnocks usually. 

However, Ravens have now discovered the bird food and come everyday bur the other birds are nowhere to be seen which is a real shame.

.I've placed wildburd seed mix, suet cakes with mealworm, suet logs and peanut mix. As its winter and I want to help them eat and drink. I've also placed holly Bush too and sprinkled bird feed under my tree and in planters too for the wrens

I'm not sure if I should dispose of the suet cake and logs as irs been almost 2 weeks plus its raining quite heavily where I live in East London. I'm going to change the seed mix and peanuts. 

Can anyone advise me how I can encourage these sweet little birds to return please because I think the Ravens have really intimidated them..

This is my first time attracting birds into my garden.

Thank you

Daniera x

• Hi

any chance of a photo- no matter how bad - of these birds in your garden ?

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I agree that we need a photo to show what is being described.
  • Seems others like me are wanting a positive i.d. on Ravens in the garden such a strange occurrence

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Maybe there's some advice out there for Daniera on a "big, black Corvids in the garden problem"?

Here, "our" big Corvids seem to rub along OK with all the other birds (except other Corvids, and raptors). Yes, they take some Starling nestlings, but they dont' seem to discourage anyone else (or, even the Starlings).

Anyone out there seeing smaller birds leaving their garden because of Corvids being around?
    I remember that my mother was convinced that Wood Pigeon's were "frightening all the other birds away", but that when we looked we saw a garden full of little birds. Maybe Daniera shouldn't be so worried?

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Maybe Daniera could tell us which corvid is most similar to what is seen.as they are similar..
    Not that,that answers the Q Doh!!

www.rspb.org.uk/.../

• I'll be very surprised if they are ravens. Crows can look enormous next to most garden birds so it's an easy mistake to make. Of course if there's been a mass escape from the Tower of London I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Clare Bailey said:
    I'll be very surprised if they are ravens

I'm sure everyone would, Clare. 

But I don't think that Daniera wants an ID on the birds. More some advice on the original problem/concern posted (which doesn't really change whatever the large, black birds are).

If you follow me.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    But I don't think that Daniera wants an ID on the birds. More some advice on the original problem/concern posted (which doesn't really change whatever the large, black birds are).

exactly and as i said .

but posted the link to help to identify,

would certainly agree with Clare,and maybe 'the tower' would be interested...(joking of course)

• Daniera, are you still there?
    Dave