We Demand.......a Shrubbery!

Hi all,

I'm in the process or re doing my garden to make it as wildlife friendly as I can and get the most out of the space I have.

Currently having a dilemma about what shrubs to put in. Contoneaster and Pyracantha are on the list but I wonder if anyone can help with the below?

Cotoneaster - 

What species is best? I don't have a huge space around 2 -2.5m square so will have to prune. i've read that some berries are not as favored as others and want to make sure I get the best thing I can.

C. Lacteus was what I was thinking.

Pyracantha - 

This seems like a good option but the thorns are a worry. Are they a danger to young children?

Again what species is best?

Many Thanks for any help!

Parents
  • I'm into both so happy to put in what ever effort is needed on the plant front.

Definitely looking for it to provide cover as well as any other benefits. Garden would be a bit sparse on the cover and security side without a shrub or 2. I have lots of perennials, annuals and bulbs in for invertebrates and bees.

Thought a shrub would provide a good 'anchor' for the garden and surrounding plantings.

Winter interest was one of my thoughts as most other things will be dormant by that point.
  • I'm into both so happy to put in what ever effort is needed on the plant front.

Definitely looking for it to provide cover as well as any other benefits. Garden would be a bit sparse on the cover and security side without a shrub or 2. I have lots of perennials, annuals and bulbs in for invertebrates and bees.

Thought a shrub would provide a good 'anchor' for the garden and surrounding plantings.

Winter interest was one of my thoughts as most other things will be dormant by that point.
Children
No Data