Great tit hole too small

Ive got a camera in a GT nest. Ive never seen the male enter. 

at times hes offered a meal at the hole and female has joined him in tree. 

today 7 chicks were born and hes frantically trying to enter with food. To the point where he is checking around the box for another entry. For 2mins at a time. 

i have a 28mm plate over a 32mm hole. Do i change the plate? If so when? Or do i leave it. 

• 28mm hole size is a recommended size for a nest box suitable for a Great Tit,  however, I would monitor the activity for the time being now that young have hatched.   Both parent birds will feed their offspring even if the male cannot get inside the box, he can transfer the food to the female so she can feed them.    Can you see the female entering the nest box without problem ?    It becomes tricky to give the right advice when an active nest is already established as any interference (even with best intentions) could result in parents abandoning the chicks.    if you have a camera you will be able to monitor the welfare of the chicks and see if they are getting fed even if its only the female who is actually feeding them, hopefully regularly and you can see how well they are growing.   My advice would be hang off doing anything for now if you can monitor via your nest cam.     I certainly wouldn't do anything that would take more than a very brief time to complete or that would involve taking the nest box down as parents could abandon their chicks.      See what the next day or two looks like and if the chicks are being fed regularly, even if it is only by one adult.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for the advice. I reluctantly changed it when they were off the nest as male was getting so distressed trying to enter. Straight away he was able to enter and normal feeding from both commenced. Now feeding regularly. 

• That's great news Paul, enjoy watching the young in the nest box via your nest cam and hopefully they will all fledge successfully, thanks for the update,

Regards, Hazel