Chicken wire mesh size for small birds

I have 6 bird feeding areas in a large garden.  Different species prefer different areas and different types of feeders. I sometimes move things around based on observations. 

At this time of year, when the starlings descend en masse, there is nowhere safe for the sparrows to feed. The other small birds (finches/tits/buntings etc) seem to be happy at the bottom of the garden under a big tree, but the sparrows have never used those feeders. The three feeding areas they're happy with are all mobbed right now, probably for the next 3-4 weeks while the starling fledglings demand to be fed. 

Yesterday, I built a large approx 800cm x 800cm x 1600cm cage around a bird table placed near the sparrow bush, wrapped it in PVC chicken wire with 50mm holes, and hung several feeders inside. It took the starlings about 20 minutes to work it out, then it was mobbed. The sparrows showed curiosity but were scared off. Today I've replaced the wire with 25mm holes. I've currently got a greater spotted woodpecker and scores of starlings trying to break in (don't worry, they have other feeders). But the holes look too small for sparrows. 

I based my idea on a feeding cage I once saw that had lots of tits and sparrows feeding inside, but never got the chance to ask what wire they used.  If 50mm is too big and 25mm is too small, does anyone have any ideas of what might work? I can enlarge some of the holes, and work it out through trial and error, but thought there might be experts who can advise. 

If all else fails, I know the starlings will all be gone soon, and the sparrows are perfectly capable of finding insects and other food at this time of year. But this might come in handy at other times of the year or under other circumstances. 

• To answer my own question, I've had a steady stream of blue and great tits, a robin and a dunnock. Then finally a couple of sparrows have worked out how to squeeze through. It's not been mobbed yet but it looks promising.
  • Thanks for posting about this. Is the 25mm hole size still working well?

I'm planning to build a fruit cage, to protect soft fruit, but would prefer not to exclude smaller birds, e.g. tits, sparrows, robins. I'm undecided between 25mm or 31mm chicken wire. My thoughts are that 31mm might be better, except that I'm concerned that it might actually risk catching and trapping slightly larger birds such as starlings (I want to keep them out, but not create something that's dangerous). Also, does anyone know if grey squirrels can readily get through 31mm wire mesh?
  • The small birds could get through, but they weren't keen on it and generally stayed away when the cage was wired on all sides. Starlings got in (I only get them during the breeding season) but the young coudn't work out how to get out so I was constantly dismantling it. In the end I completely opened up one side, nearest to the bushes. Even so, the corvids are cautious and won't venture in. The small birds prefer to enter through the open side but tits, especially long-tailed, will flit in and out through the wire. I have a very cautious sparrow population that are easily spooked, don't like to feel trapped and are too stupid to understand the cage is pretty safe from sparrowhawks so they only visit the feeder nearest to the open side. I'm not sure what I'll do next year when the starlings return - maybe put a larger size mesh on the side that's currently open, and observe/adapt.

In my garden, which currently has 4 regular squirrels, I don't think they'd try to get through a 31mm wire mesh. I've put wire hanging basket frames (one on top, one upside down, held together loosely with wire) around some feeders in the garden, that have holes larger than that, and although they inspect them carefully they don't try to squeeze in.

It's all dynamic. I just saw a squirrel feeding from my squirrelbuster feeder and realised it needed some WD40 (the feeder not the squirrel, although I've realised the squirrels like to eat fruit tree grease so nothing would surprise me). They test everything all the time. Whereas the birds in my garden tend to be cautious and a bit thick.
  • I need to correct that. There's currently a squirrel inside the hanging basket cage arrangement, feeding from a Big Easy feeder. Also one inside the big cage (so they've discovered the open side). And one on another feeder that I put out yesterday for the sparrows. I've taken down the squirrelbuster where the mechanism needs adjusting, so all three have been scouting out alternatives. Not sure where the other squirrel is but no doubt somewhere it shouldn't be.

I do have a dedicated squirrel feeder but they're egging each other on to try new things.

I'll be putting 50mm wire back on the 4th side of my feeding cage later this week and will update you on how long it takes the squirrels to get in and how the other birds react.
  • Might be best using a feeding pole with your caged feeders and a baffle dome so squirrels cant climb up and also place it far enough away from any launch pads as its amazig how far they can leap... It's a continuous battle ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I'm not very handy when it comes to making things - all the things I've constructed have been very Heath Robinson. The big cage is made from the frame of a garden table (after the rattan decayed), placed around a bird table (which protrudes from the top) with chicken wire wrapped round. It looks surprisingly elegant despite the description. The wire hanging baskets were cheaper than buying a feeder cage. It's basically what I've got lying around and can construct with limited ability. Then I adapt whenever something defeats them! I suppose it keeps me amused as much as the wildlife. But I was inspired by a cage on a pole that I saw in Fortune Street Park at the back of the Barbican, in London. I was told it had been specially made and supplied to Islington Council, and it attracted a huge number of small birds. I've been on the lookout for something similar ever since. It would be beyond me to make unless I start to learn woodwork at my advanced age.
  • I have a feeding pole bought from b&m bargains...think it cost £7.99 the baffle dome was from Amazon ..less than £20 and I use a parasol base instead of hammering the pole into the ground.

Like you I use hanging wired baskets around the feeders

Lots of birds

And keeps the Sparrowhawk out lol

No DIY skills needed  ;-)

• I shall try a feeding pole again, I think. My garden is on a steep slope so any kind of pole eventually leans :) Maybe a parasol base would work if I construct a flat surface :)
  • I (or the squirrels) have hijacked the topic. Just to say I saw a 25% discount on Jacobi Jayne Squirrel Busters at Amazon today. After watching the squirrels continue to expand their territory today I've invested in a "classic" to add to my 2 x minis and 2 x plus feeders. I'm tempted by the suet feeder which is at the lowest price I've seen so far, but will probably wait until the squirrels drive me to it. At the moment they still won't venture too far into my big feeding cage, so the suet blocks have been safe.
  • Lol...I must admit my squirrel buster feeder didn't stop the wee squirrels tongue from getting some sunflower seeds out of it....they don't give up easily lol