Robin sticking tongue out?

Hi there. We have a very inquisitive robin who visits in the garden every day and follows us around. However he's constantly opening and closing his beak, and sticking his tongue out...as if he's got something caught in his throat. He seems fine other than that, and is eating ok, flying ok etc. I'm just worried there could be something wrong with him, or that he might be struggling to breathe? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

• Nature is usually very effective at sorting itself out.

I will say before I go any further, if the robin is having breathing difficulties, then there is a risk of avian flu. I only mention that because it is because avian flu is becoming quite prevalent across the UK, not that it's ever gone away, it just doesn't get the coverage it needs. See the  weblink at the bottom regarding avian flu

So keep a careful lookout for dead birds generally and DO NOT handle any, but contact DEFRA: 03459 33 55 77

I doubt the robin is having breathing difficulties if its flying normally, as you know yourself, if you can't breathe, then any exertion is nigh on impossible.

It is possible the robin has found something a little large to eat and become greedy,  but normally, nature keeps a sensible perspective on what any species eats. I doubt there will be anything you can do. If there is, then I'm sure someone will chip in with whatever suggestions they have.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu