What was this marten up to? Do martens bite?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I've found the right place to ask my question Slight smile

About a week ago in the late evening, I was sitting on the low wall surrounding our front yard. I closed my eyes to relax a bit... Suddenly, I heard the soft sound of little footsteps coming towards me. When I opened my eyes, I saw a stone marten about two metres in front of me. The moment I had opened my eyes, it had stopped moving. I was quite surprised! We looked at each other for five to ten seconds, then the marten turned around and ran away.

Up until that moment, I had only seen martens from a distance, so that was a very special encounter to me (and I've been really excited about it, to be honest!). But for this last week, I've also been wondering, what was that marten up to? I mean, it was definitely running straight towards me... I read that martens are quite curious and like to explore everything with their teeth Sweat smile If I hadn't opened my eyes, is it possible that the marten would have bitten me? Then again, I also read that martens are shy of people and only bite when they feel threatened... so I'm kind of confused!

I would be happy if anyone could offer any insight! Should I be more careful when sitting outside at dusk?

Regards,

Jana

• I guess its worth asking on some forums or wildlife Facebook pages which cover the country that you live in - rather than a UK site where we have a very small distribution of Pine Martens - I myself have never seen one in the wild. Even so, I very much doubt that it would have just run up to you and bitten you.
  • Seems to me that, as you were still and not a moving threat, then the animal was approaching with caution out of curiosity.

It wouldn't have attacked you, well only if you had seemed to attack it.

You'll be fine sitting outside - well, I'd be more careful of human beings approaching you!
  • rspbailey said:
    Seems to me that, as you were still and not a moving threat, then the animal was approaching with caution out of curiosity.

It wouldn't have attacked you, well only if you had seemed to attack it.

You'll be fine sitting outside - well, I'd be more careful of human beings approaching you!

That was more or less what my response would be.

Any animal with teeth will bite if it feels threatened, even birds will stab/peck if threatened, so the answer would be yes. However, as you stayed calm, the stone martin was curious as to what/who you are and if there was any threat to it.

Staying calm like that is a good way to observe nature, but don't get too complacent.

• If this was me I would be working out just where I could sit to watch these fantastic mammals. Many years ago when working in Scotland I would spend the weekend staying in a small b & b where the lady put food out to encourage Pine Martens, the UK equivalent of your Marten. Most nights we could watch them from the kitchen window but even at that distance they would vanish if they saw or heard us.
  • Wendy S said:
    If this was me I would be working out just where I could sit to watch these fantastic mammals. Many years ago when working in Scotland I would spend the weekend staying in a small b & b where the lady put food out to encourage Pine Martens, the UK equivalent of your Marten. Most nights we could watch them from the kitchen window but even at that distance they would vanish if they saw or heard us.

Me too.

Though for many, and we would have been there ourselves many years ago, it is that first encounter that you never expected and catches you unaware and strikes you with awe.

Nature is very inquisitive, mainly from a survival perspective, and it soon learns what to trust and what not to.

• When I was working in Scotland it was pretty full on so I found this little b&b on the Ardnamuchon peninsula and I would pop along there on my little motor bike for a bit of relaxation and Eagle watching The Martens were a real bonus.
  • Wendy S said:
    When I was working in Scotland it was pretty full on so I found this little b&b on the Ardnamuchon peninsula and I would pop along there on my little motor bike for a bit of relaxation and Eagle watching The Martens were a real bonus.

That sounds like bliss.

As a teenager working on farms during the 70's, we would stop for lunch, unless the weather was showing signs of closing in, and just watching what was going on was fascinating, enhanced by the farmer i was working for at the time pointing out so many things. At the time it was too much to take in, but it set me up for later life.

• Thanks for your answers, everyone! :)
    I guess you're right, the marten was probably just curious... At least it didn't seem stressed (it even looked away for a sec during our exchange of views).
    Since that first encounter, I've sat outside twice and seen the little guy from a distance!

Oh, and if you happen to know a good forum where people might know more about martens, please let me know.
  • No a marten is not going to attack anything so much bigger than itself, why would it take such a stupid risk?
    What would it have to gain?
    It's obviously very used to being around people and perhaps one of your neighbours has fed it in the past and it wanted to check you out to see if you would do the same, or maybe it was after stealing something which caught it's eye.
    Martens can be very playful, I was sleeping in a 3 sided log shelter built in the woods for hikers to use. I had hung my sun hat from the corner of the shelter. In the morning I lay in my sleeping bag to see my hat swinging around, as it swung out away from me I could see a young pine marten running round the inside of this hat making it swing madly around.