I have a pair of Jackdaws which are swooping in to knock the finches / tits off their feeding perches and then killing them and flying off with them.

The first time I saw them carry a goldfinch off I thought it had been ill as it was fluttering on the floor but know I've seen them in action I know what they're doing! This is horrible and very upsetting! My feeders are spread about and are all near bushes / trees for close cover. Their strike rate isn't very good but I've seen them try it about 8 times in an hour! There's food dropped on the floor they could eat and a peanut feeder they can get on so no excuses! Would it help if I put a suet ball feeder out for them or would this just attract more? Please help!!!

• This is a really hard question to answer - they have hungry young to feed and they are after protein for the young and they have now found a comparatively easy source and a method of achieving it. You have a few options - do nothing and let nature take it's course; offer an easy alternative and risk more birds coming in; stop providing food for the smaller birds so they disperse out, there should be sufficient wild food available now up to late autumn
  • Thing is, people are doing good by setting up feeding stations and feeding the birds - but they're also setting up buffets for another bird wanting a more substantial meal i.e. another bird.

Best thing to do if you don't want to witness nature in all its gory glory, is to make it harder for the larger birds to take 'advantage' of these situations, but as Germain has also hinted at, it's all nature and maybe you're doing the best thing by providing for all species.
  • This is one good reason for stopping feeding at this time of year people feel the some when Sparrowhawks use the garden feeders like a McDonald's takeaway. As already said there should be lots of natural food around for the small birds.