What is wrong with this Greenfinch?

Hi.  Someone please tell me what is wrong with this little fellow.  If it is diseased what action should I take regarding feeders etc?  I clean and disinfect my feeders every weekend.

• I have zoomed the picture so you can see the face better.

• I fear he may have trichomonosis. Lots of info here: www.rspb.org.uk/.../
  • In reply to Internetman:

Thanks for replying. Are the wounds on it’s face indicative of Trichomonosis? Also it doesn’t appear to be fluffy/bloated.
  • If this is a case of Trichomonosis then it is advisable to remove all feeders for three weeks as the regurgitated parasite can be picked up by other birds;   sadly finches are particularly prone to this awful parasitic disease in part due to the fact they are flock birds so often feed together.       

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thank you so much for replying Hazel and for your valuable advice. I’ve removed the feeders already by way of precaution. However it would be great if an expert here could actually identify whether this is Trichomonosis or something else (possibly worse!!). The bird appeared to have warty growths on one side of its face causing blindness - that is how I got such a close up photo. The minute I moved around to its good eye it saw me and flew away. I have not noticed it returning to the garden yet so perhaps it has succumbed to it’s condition. Poor little thing.
  • Possibly Avian Pox, www.bto.org/.../avian-pox

it seems to line up with warty growths

Cin J

• In reply to Germain:

Thank you Germain. I have used your link to send my photos and descriptions to the BTO. Avian Pox certainly seems to tick a few boxes.
  • Here's a GT with Avian Pox;     I was told by a bird ringer/expert that very often despite this severity of pox birds do and can recover completely so fingers crossed for your bird if it is AP.  

With Trichomonosis birds very often have food stuck to their beak and you will see them trying to cough up the parasite;   they are often lethargic, can have damp looking feathers and sadly there is little chance of a good outcome for those birds.    They die of starvation due to the parasite blocking their gullet and they can't swallow food.      To me your photo looks more like the result of Trichomonosis but I'm not an expert but have seen many cases of both diseases over the last ten years.   Birds also get ticks which can make them poorly although once the tick has had its fill of blood they drop off the bird;  birds will be lethargic with ticks.   

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"