How many suet pellets are too many when feeding garden birds?

I’ve only had my bird feeders set up for a week now but they seem to be a great hit with the local birds! The starlings and blue tits in particular have been happily visiting while I sit in the garden and watch which has been fantastic!

My question is about suet pellets which seems to be everyone’s favourite. The last three days they’ve completely emptied the little dish I’ve been filling with it, and when I added some mealworms this morning they emptied it by late afternoon so I refilled it with just suet pellets and have just gone out to see it’s been emptied again, plus they’ve now also been flicking all the seeds out the hanging bird feeder to get the the tiny pieces in their as well (I didn’t even realise it had it in until I started checking why they had thrown so much around). 
I currently have two of my hanging feeders with just seeds so I was wondering if I should just fill a whole feeder up with suet instead?

I’m worried about over feeding it though and can’t seem to find anything online about how much is too much? I’ve gone through a week 500g bag in a week and they’ve only really started using it properly the last few days Sweat smile. Do I need to limit it or is it okay to feed them as much as they seem to want? Tia.

• At this time of year it is better to feed meal worms and high protein no mess seed or sunflower hearts. Limit their suet pellet intake for the sake of their health and your pocket. They need the fat over winter. Mealworms are best soaked in water for 30 minutes before putting out, as it means that chicks are getting moisture if they are being fed. Starlings are messy, noisy feeders and fling food all over the place.

Cin J

• Birds will only take what they need but it is a busy time of year for them with having chicks etc.. I have to refill my very long feeders every other day practically.