Domestic solo goose - what to do?

Hello,
hoping some kind knowledgeable person/s out there might be able to help with this…

I live by a river in town and a couple of days ago a goose turned up. I’m not certain but fairly confident it’s a domestic not wild one (heavy looking, not a good swimmer, orange feet and bill, mostly white coloured). It’s been paddling up and down and making loud honking noises (distressed sounding, to my ear anyway but maybe that’s just how they sound?). I’m worried for it. Firstly I fear someone may hurt it as it’s so loud, or call for pest control or something awful like that. Secondly, would a domestic goose survive in the wild (be able to find enough to eat)? It looks very lonely. There are ducks and gulls but it’s just been standing by itself  and I’d imagine they don’t do well without other geese around. 

• It will be difficult to determine whether the goose was wild or domestic, however, food sources shouldn't be that hard for it to find. Without any photos or audio to listen to, it's hard to ascertain whether the goose is in distress or not, though my initial thoughts are, it isn't.

If you feel the goose is in distress, then the best people to contact would be the RSPCA on the number below.

0300 123 4999

• I am not sure how to advise on this one, but if it is a domestic bird maybe RSPCA can help? or is there a 'lost and found' fb page in your community, someone maybe looking for it?

I am sure it will be eating ok and there is a possibility the honking could be for various reasons, trying to find a mate, start a territory maybe?
  • emma.h said:
    I am not sure how to advise on this one, but if it is a domestic bird maybe RSPCA can help? or is there a 'lost and found' fb page in your community, someone maybe looking for it?

I am sure it will be eating ok and there is a possibility the honking could be for various reasons, trying to find a mate, start a territory maybe?

From what I understand, the RSPCA will attend, where possible, wild or domesticated animals/birds in distress.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

• Hi,
    Sorry for the slow reply. I forgot my password and any time I tried to reset it the password reset link doesn’t turn up in my email for hours and hours and when I click it’s expired.
    Anyway! I think things are ok and even (hopefully, fingers crossed) a happy ending …
    Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciated it. I did give SSPCA a ring but don’t know if they checked it out (I didn’t get a call back), I explained it didn’t look injured or anything but I was concerned for its welfare.
    It was paddling and walking near my flat for a few days in a row, honking out. Walking or paddling, never flying. It did sound lonely to me but, thanks for your comment, appreciate there’s lots of reasons why it may have been honking. Just the way it was paddling up and down looking around and the mournful sound did sound like an upset creature you know?
    I didn’t hear it for a few days and didn’t see it anywhere. Then, I was out walking just now and spied from a distance one of the swans and a smaller bird behind it, trailing in its wake. Was it a signet? Nope! It’s the goose! Got a photo but too far away to be sure so I jogged to look and sure enough it’s the goose, and the swan together. I got a couple of photos.
  • No worries about the late reply, at least there was a good ending and that's what counts, and you asked the right questions and acted on the advice given rather than interfere. So it was a good result all round.

My turn to apologise for the delayed reply, I've been on holiday in Scotland for an extended week and didn't have a decent internet connection.