Question about surveying

Does anyone here know much about Gordon Kirk or met up with him before  

If you have then do you know much about surveying in the breeding bird survey  and what happens then? 

I got a email from Gordon Kirk about Breeding bird surveying you pick a square 

and survey the area. But I didn’t know you walk with a surveyor. I have sent things off to my local recorder but havnt done the pick as square to survey 

and then take a paper with you and then join a group or walk with a surveyor in person  before 

I’m going to be meeting Gordin Kirk in April for  the very first time and he told me he lives on Frampton on Severn 

• Zo, I think quite a few of us on the forum take part in the BTO breeding bird survey it is one of the ways we get the information on the state of UK birds. It sounds as though the square that has become vacant is already set up on the system and to keep the figures consistant with what has gone before you will need to follow the same route. It does require a lot of dedication and the ability to i.d. birds in the field.but very satisfying and worthwhile. Gordon will no doubt show you the route and probably walk with you at first. If you look on the BTO website under surveys you will find a lot of information on what the requirements are,good luck with it.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner it wasn’t very cold outside and Not cold enough to wear a coat. I was outside putting bird Seed and peanuts out only thing I made a mistake and put differant  bird food in the same bowl rather than separately. I usually put 2 bowls out separately. One with seeds while the other bowl has other bird food the Woodpigeon pays no interest to. Cause the pigeon isn’t interested in the other food the territorial pigeon is too distracted guarding the other food so the other birds are able to get there food without being chased off. though there’s other methods aswell  I prefer that one and it works very well.

But cause I made a mistake  unlike with other bird food it took forever to pick all the peanuts out of the same bowl. it was long enough for the wind to pick up and it to get cloudy and freezing cold and I was unable to get back inside for a long time.  When I was able to get back in I used a duvet with a blanket to warm up. 

I have sent observations to the Breeding bird survey and Wildlife Trust and I record and my local recorder and other things that need then as well but not gone out with a surveyor before. Thanks for the infomation 

• Zo, if you have been sending sightings to the Breeding Bird Survey you will have a set survey square

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Zo - you might be confusing the Breeding Bird Survey with the BTO's Garden Birdwatch Scheme. The BBS is a formal survey covering two 1km transects, 1km apart, logging birds seen, heard or seen flying over at three different distance bands in an allocated square. It is done twice a year: the first in early Spring (April to mid-May) and later Spring (mid-May to end June).

It also includes opportunities to note mammals, butterflies and moths along the transects. Certainly it is well worth doing.

Simon Tucker

• Yes. I did. I do take part in the BTO garden birdwatch scheme so I did get those two confused. I am thinking of doing the breeding bird survey which is why I got the email from Gordin Kirk. Do you know weather it’s possible to survey the square without needing to go round with the surveyer?

• As a general rule all survey patches have a set route and methodology and normally when being handed over to a new person there is a walk through to ensure the same methodology is used. This maybe done by the previous surveyor or the admin. I always brief and walk the routes with anyone covering any of my sites for me to ensure best practice if our co-ordinator is not available

Cin J

• Zo, as you are probably new to the workings of the Breeding Bird Survey and new to the survey square Gordon will be going round with you to show you how the survey is carried out and to make certain you can do it. This survey is different from the ones you have already taken part in so he may give you some in the field training which is what our local BTO members rep does. It's  a great  idea  to find out  more  about  the  survey before hand like you have done here, good  luck  and  enjoy  it

Pete

• Yes - once you take on the site you work solo. I do one on a farm in Wiltshire just outside Marlborough.

One tip: if the site is a farm or other landholding, have a chat with the landowner after each session and let them know what you find. It gets them more interested in what they have and, in the example of my site, the farmer is now actively doing things to encourage more birds onto his land. He has the best hedgerows that I know in the area and, consequently a really healthy population of farmland birds.

Simon Tucker

• Ok. Thanks. And thanks for the helpful tip aswell.