Blue tit bird box cleaning

Hi,

I put up a bird box this year tailored for blue tits. They naturally obliged. 

Any reading I have done on cleaning and maintaining the box indicates removal of old nest sep-nov.

Thing is I still have the blue tits in the box. Not just an occasional roost. Their in it all day. Stay there

What is your advice? Do I wait to see if they leave? Or evict them? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if I remove the nest and pour boiling water on the box. 

Once it dries I should perhaps put some hay and moss in the box.

Do I evict in the morning, do the maintenance and hopefully dry by evening?

Any advice very welcome. Love these wee guys

• Sorry you have had no replies Andy, things have quietened down on here.

I clean out the boxes about now, so I would say that even although they are being used as a roost, you can do so now.
    Empty out any nests, leaves, bedding and any eggs, brush our any debris that is left and pour boiling water into the box, some boxes are difficult to open or some have been made that you can't open them, so you may have to take any bedding out through the hole, pour in the water and leave a while (if you have opened it up) I leave it empty and not put anything back but you could put in some straw or moss and it will make it cosy for a roosting box or for small mammals to hibernate in, when you think it is dry enough, fix it back together. Boxes are going to get wet anyway so the important thing is to at least clean them out and scorch with the hot water.

They will soon come back to roost in them on a cold wet windy night.

• Thanks Catlady.

You've confirmed what I felt needed doing. I'll get on to that this weekend.

I built the box myself so access was planned in to the build. Easy access.