Strange Raven behaviour

A friend of mine who ,like me, spends a lot of time counting certain species of bird has been asked by an experienced birder if he could explain some strange behavioural sightings of Ravens in the Yorkshire Dales. Ravens are regular breeders in small numbers in the Dales but sightings like this of up to 12 birds in the air together is a strange one to us. Neither my friend or myself have seen 12 Ravens together in the UK so a couple of sightings like this is both exciting and very strange. We are not sure if they were passing through or a number of families that after breeding have grouped together. I wonder if any Forum members have come across anything like this before if so I would be interested in what circumstances.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks for that info Dave, normally the only migration type movement we see from local Ravens is altitudinal movement in extreme weather conditions when they drop to lower more sheltered ground. These birds were sighted on the edge of Grouse moors and if they are local birds it could be a good sign that the shoots are not persecuting them. This may be one of those unexplained things that birds like to throw at us.
    Some interesting birds on your patch makes ours look tame at times

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I have always wanted to visit one of the big raptor migration spots but I doubt if I will get there now

Pete

• Yeah, don't believe him Pete, I've been waiting about 2 and a half years for him to finish the guest suite!!
  • Cheers Dave, my overseas travel problem nowadays is insurance, having had lung cancer 8 years ago and a couple of chronic problems to follow the travel insurance is out of this world even for UK. We were going on an organised holiday to Scotland and the company suggested cancellation insurance, Chris was quoted a few quid and after a long telephone conversation I was quoted £1200 , the holiday was only £1350 in total !! we declined mention the C word and the insurance just add 000s on

Pete