Does anyone have any tips on how to help make sure a baby field vole stays alive before I can release it if I can release it yet?

I found a baby field vole in the middle of a path in the woods that i thought was dead until I picked it up and it started moving a bit. It nuzzled into the gaps between my fingers for most of the journey back home and has been getting more vocal by clicking and (sort of) squeaking. It has perked up a bit but not enough for me to be happy it will survive.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips as to how to help make sure this creature stays alive before I can release it if I can release it yet?

• Update: it died in my hands when it stopped being as active. I'm so sad right now.

• It was probably the distress of you picking it up and taking it with you. Im sorry but I dont understand why you would even pick it up in the 1st place

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• In reply to Linda257:

It couldn't move on its own at all and it was in the direct sun so I gave it some water from a tiny dropper and it became much more active and didn't leave any water behind. It was nibbling on some grass roots I found it so luckily it was old enough to not depend on the mother (which is probably why it was in the path) and its teeth were well developed. To be fair it might not be a baby just young. Every other rodent i've found not moving much has been nurtured back to good health before I can release it like mice for example.

• In reply to Benny C:

it was going to die on its own. That's why I picked it up

• www.legislation.gov.uk/.../69
    The above is the 1981 Countryside and Wildlife Act. This was the second major conservation act in the UK. The first major wildlife act passed in the UK was the 1954 Protection of Birds Act. The present Wildlife Act is not straightforward. For example in extremely rare occasions even schedule 1 species can be controlled. Falconry is still legally allowed at least in England. Including taking young from nests, but that is only allowed very rarely in the UK. But Falconry is still legally allowed, The 1981 Act is a long read. For those mentioning picking up a vole, you might find this interesting. Hope the link works.

Regards,

Ian.

• naturalengland.blog.gov.uk/.../
    This was from 2016 where Natural England issued licences for Peregrine Falcons from the wild for Falconry. I’m not saying whether it’s right or wrong. But it is legal. Licences are rarely approved. But on this occasion it was!

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

Thanks but I didn't take it from the nest. I just want to clear that up. I would never do that. Ever
  • In reply to Benny C:

I looked for the nest first but I couldn't find it. Thank you for recommending me this though.