Lone Jackdaw

Hello. I have had a lone Jackdaw visiting my garden for the last few months. It is always alone and has no interest in the group of Jackdaws that also visit every day.

It will come very close to me but won't feed from my hand.

He visits every day and waits for me to come out and feed him. Then just hangs around all day till early evening, just standing on the grass and walking around every so often.  Today I noticed he is limping so I will keep an eye on that. I just wondered if it is unusual for a Jackdaw to be alone. Thanks. 

• Sorry, not an answer. I’m having the same thing. So will keep an eye on this thread.

The little chap(?) in our garden has only been for a week. He doesn’t really fly very well - often missing targets - and sits on the fence sleeping. Or if it’s raining, it sits in the bird table. He doesn’t really protect himself well - it walked right up to my cat. I watched the other day as it stood on the ground with its head under wing, swaying in the wind and again as blown by a gust on the shed. I feel really sorry for it, because the weather has been rubbish, but unsure of what to do.

I thought this one was old, because it was a little baldy and slow, but my partner saw a another jackdaw feed it a couple of days ago. He’s only seen this once, though. The rest of the time it’s alone. We think it may have developmental issues(?)

Is this normal to be alone like that? Is the baldy head normal? I’ve no experience of wild birds. Have googled a lot before coming here, but lots of conflicting advice. Would appreciate any suggestions of what to do. Thank you. 

• I wonder if either of these birds have kept as pets in the past and have either escaped or been dumped away from "home" Jackdaws used to be popular with some people as a pet because they were good mimickers and their activities quite entertaining. Where I lived some years ago one had been taken from a nest and made a pet of and became a nuisance and just wondered if this was something similar.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I'm no expert and definitely haven't a clue what the answer may or actually be.

What I have observed generally with Jackdaws is they do seem to be solo birds. We've a solo jackdaw currently visiting the garden, the last time I saw a pair plus was towards the end of the breeding season.

• We have a little gang that hang around the communal garden round our little estate but I suspect they are probably non breeding teenagers and we have large communal roosts of several hundred birds but that is later in the year, nightmare trying to get a count on them !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Evening...
    I have a similar regular visitor as both above...for now it is a he.
    Just its general behaviour drew my attention initially,is it young,old,a bit blind or deaf,injured etc?.
    It almost seems unsure about things,especially feeding and around other birds and I also had the thought of development issues
    Always alone,never makes a sound and recognises me,will come right up to my back door,currently sitting in on my path,in the open asleep.
    Another family of Jackdaws swooped him last night as he slept on the fence,
    My only thought i have currently is to construct a roost box and put it out there and maybe at least it would have a reasonably safe place to hang out.
    Definitely the strangest acting bird I have had in my garden that is not easily answered.
  • New here but I have a jackdaw in my garden also, bit young, not scared of me or my parents at all, we feed it 2/3 times a day and it’s always alone, it patiently waits for me to put food down for it then flies down right next to me, it also never makes a sound, when it first came it seemed like it struggled to eat and would break its food down to a crumb but now it just gobbles it all up instantly, I have plenty of videos of him and it’s a fascinating bird, we’ve named him Gideon