Urgent Help Pls - Unexpected Active Bird Nest. Work About to Start.

Morning all, first off whilst enthusiastic about bird life, I cannot be considered particularly skilled or knowledgeable in this area. That said I am needing some urgent guidance.

We have a building that was about to be moved and have found an active blackbirds nest. I will say up front, we know the legalities and will NOT be moving the nest until we see them hatched and flown.

The building in question is a large Children's Playhouse. It's been in position for years and unused in maybe 10 years. It was about to be deconstructed, refurbished and moved to the daughters place and a present for her son who turns 4 in 18 days.

We went to look at it yesterday and found a largish nest with 4 blue eggs in it. The nest is build inside on top of the front doors that were removed and put inside. The nest is north facing and fully under cover. I looked up the eggs on-line and best we can tell are blackbird eggs.

Not for a second thinking there was any activity, I lifted the nest (gently and whole) and then to our total surprise saw the eggs. We replaced the nest. I should say it was somewhat welded to the woodwork .... maybe mud or suchlike used to glue it? It appeared to 'refit' quite well.

We did a little reading and saw that we cannot move it. All fine and we won't be. But we also read that it's unlikely the mother will return to a moved nest. I say moved, it was lifted but relocated in precisely the same spot.

We have been trying to see if there is any nest activity but not confirmed that yet. We will watch further today. I have seen a blackbird (black in colour) often present in the apple tree above the house. I've not seen it go to the nest yet.

I could use advice please. How to be sure we have not affected the birds or if they are likely to have left. And what we can do in either situation.

If they are still active (which we hope) can anyone recommend a camera system we can carefully position to watch the birds. I say we, of course we have a 4 year old boy who's been told he will be getting a playhouse for his birthday who of course won't be now. I thought if we can install some cameras near the entrance or further back looking in, that could feed to a PC, or tablet or mobile phone, then we could make this part of the experience. I don't care about the cost and we have some wifi / wired resources that can be used. In fact we were considering doing this for the garden anyway.

I've looked at many on-line and most seem box linked which of course we cannot do. Others seem more like those trappers or hunters would use and take photos and send them via GSM connections. What I would like is something we can stick on a post some meters away looking in. And maybe on we can floor position looking up and that send video stream to a device .... As I say I'm not cost limited to do this (within reason of course) and see it as an opportunity.

We really could use some help from those with knowledge please. We are looking and reading but no clear answers are jumping out. Appreciate any time folks can put into helping us find the best way forward. And indeed trying to watch and record the event if the happiest way forward be possible.

• Hi Alan and thanks for the quick reply.

Well the good news is that she seems be still in position and ok. We had to move some wood from the garden today but now it's all hers until she done!

Given that she stayed the last 24 hours since disturbing the nest, is it likely the risk is low and she will stay? Apols I know little about this area but we keen do our best get it right.

I have source a camera, a wired PoE one that we can connect to our network. Looks straightforward. The nest is about 1 meter from floor level in an open space for bikes and suchlike. I thought to simply put it on a tripod at same height and position by door.

Any advice on best time to position it to minimise disturbance to the new residents?

Many thanks
  • Is good to know Alan and yes it appears be the case that she is robust to our garden to and froing.

Thanks for the advice. What is obvious to some folks is new and very useful guidance to those us new to the subject.

That said I think it has awoken a new interest for a few of us here.

Many thanks