What are the birds doing in the tree?

Hello,                                                                                                          In my garden, I have a 5m tall conifer tree. As of recently (within the past month), the blue-tits and dunnocks that visit my garden keep flying up to the conifer and going inside for a couple minutes, only to exit and fly away afterwards. I am not familiar with certain behaviours birds show, but I am wondering why they are doing this. Why would this occur?  This only really happens at midday and dusk. Any answers would be much appreciated. 
Thanks

• Hi

possibly a raptor has appeared nearby and they are being safe:

If they enter the conifer and all start making a lot of noise they may have found a roosting Tawny Owl

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I was thinking food, shelter, basic survival, or sex. I think that's what our local passerines go in for. Mainly.

If you head into a conifer to escape a Sparrowhawk, only to come beak to beak with a Tawny, you're really out of luck, and shouldn't waste your money on a lottery ticket.
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Haha, that would be bad luck.
  • Not all insects die off in winter a conifer would be a very good place for them and if its letting sap out a good place for birds and insects to get some food, I know ants love mine not sure if these will be around though but you never know.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• In reply to James:

James G said:
    Not all insects die off in winter

A good point from Jim.

Here, various tits are still working the plane tree, even if we're in minus temparatures.

Not sure about at midday though. Perhaps it's just a local thing, but our birds tend to take a lunch break around 12.

• In reply to James:

Hello,
    That would make a lot of sense actually, especially since they eat so many insects
    Thanks very much
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Hello,
    I’ve noticed that actually, the tits always seem to turn up whatever the weather. It’s nice to know that there’s always one popping around. I live in rural-ish Leicestershire, which has pretty mediocre weather (no snow in winter but not much sun in summer, with lots of rain). The birds around here tend to have their lunch break a little earlier at around 10:30-11:00 ish
    Thanks very much
  • In reply to ellis187:

ellis187 said:
    The birds around here tend to have their lunch break a little earlier at around 10:30-11:00 ish

Wow. They must start work early to get away with a 10:30 lunch break.

To go back to Seymoreraves' (very valid) point, keep an eye out for what else is around at the time. And on what other birds are doing.

"Our" local crows hate every single raptor that ever lived. When they get shouty, someone is about. Someone who will invariably then be pursued from the territory.

It's a strategy not without risk. Last year a friend saw a Red Kite kill a Crow that had got to close: one wingbeat, and the poor bird dropped like a stone.

Oh. If it's a young Goshawk, the crows will be very noisy, but will never take off. And if they follow a bird at a respectful distance, it will be a Golden Eagle.

Hope you don't give your birds another break in the afternoon too. "Give them an inch", you know?

All the best -

Dave

• Hello,
    They must be hard workers around my area haha. To be fair, the only break they take is the 11:00 o’clock one. The only other thing I have noticed is they now travel up and through the tree, instead of just nipping in. But otherwise, the birds don’t really get noisy, I’m not even sure if there are many birds of prey near where I live.
    Thanks
  • They're probably keeping busy to keep their minds off the weather, ellis.

All the best -
    Dave