Wildlife crime

I want to know an expert opinion , is something constitutes a wildlife crime - basically close to where I live contractor cut back reeds, just the other day so with the March - aug window,  in a balancing pond , there were Reed bunting and Reed warblers using the reeds , I believe they were nesting within the reeds. I tried to stop the contractors and inform them that I felt they were committing a wildlife crime , and they need to stop and carry out further observations , however they basically refuse and said they carried out a sufficient assessment, although as I was trying to discuss with them the Reed warblers was flying in and out of the area they are cutting back . Was this a wildlife crime ? 

• I would say most likely. Disturbing birds like that and destroying their natural habitat is in my eyes a wildlife crime. Will you take this up with anyone else?
  • In reply to Gleb B:

Well , I’ve taken it up with the landowner, and I’ve tried log a report with the local constabulary, but it was an online form , so who knows if that’ll actually go anywhere . I’m considering taking it to the local council.
    If was my gut feeling that it was a wildlife crime but wanted to be sure if my ground.
  • In reply to IndyW:

Here is a link to what it covers if you havent already seen it
    www.rspb.org.uk/.../.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• In reply to Linda257:

Many thanks Linda

If they’ve flushed the birds out but not destroyed the nest does that still count as a crime ?
  • In reply to IndyW:

Sorry am not an expert but in my opinion they still interfered /disturbed a live nest. Not to sure there shall be much if anything that can be done now. You did all you could at the time but it could come down to their word over yours and they may say the bird already have fled.
    Hopefully someone else shall be more helpful than.

• In reply to Linda257:

Yes sadly , after speaking with the police , the police inform me that disturbance only covers the Schedule 1 birds and they can only do anything if there was direct and clear evidence such as dead bird or a destroyed nest. Sad state of affairs really , but thanks for all your help.
  • In reply to IndyW:

No ..thankyou for caring and trying your best. Unfortunately there are still lots of uneducated people out there regarding wildlife and their habitats or they simply just dont care!

• In reply to Linda257:

I think it’s a lesson learnt for me, the other sad fact is , I should only have given them a very polite and soft warning, whilst monitoring and videoing the work carried out, in order for me to witness and catalogue the evidence, of a the crime in question. Rather than only having circumstantial evidence.

• Sad people with no respect for nature, all they care about is getting their job done and on with it. Pathetic state of mind some people have.

https://www.instagram.com/jackbranscombe