Will flock of pigeons starve when feeding abruptly stops?

Please can anyone offer me some advice/reassurance on the following matter?

I’ve been feeding a fairly large flock of pigeons (about 30) on our shed roof for the last 5 years or so, they come every day and I feed them in the morning and at teatime and sometimes a bit extra in between. I knew some of the neighbours in my row were not overly fond of them but they’d never made a complaint until recently, when I was approached by two neighbours who demanded I stop feeding them as they were tired of their cooing and flying over their gardens. I told them it wasn’t illegal to feed them and ignored them.
A week ago I received a letter from the local council telling me they’d received a complaint and requested I stop feeding the pigeons immediately, obviously the neighbours had reported me. I was very upset but knew that if I was to persist in feeding them it would lead to more trouble with the council and neighbours, so I had no alternative but to stop feeding them.
Today is the seventh day I haven’t fed them and the flock have been sitting on my roof most of the day, right up until 7.30pm at night, waiting to be fed. They are even flying down into my garden and sitting on my living room windowsill looking in at me, something they've never done before. I’m totally heartbroken and distressed and can’t bear to see them looking down at me, in fact I'm avoiding going into my back garden as it's causing me upset to see them there.
I’m worried sick they will starve as I don’t know where else they will go for food, they've been so reliant on me feeding them for so long, it's such a stressful situation and it's cutting me up to see them.
I'm sure a gradual reduction in feeding would have been the best option, but the council won't go for that.
How long will it take before they eventually get the message the food has stopped and fly off and are they likely to starve due to the cessation of their regular food supply?
Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

• Ferals will usually find a new food source. You could try putting seed down in the other park. Maybe do it first thing in the morning so as not to attract too much attention. Pidges will sometimes go from flock to flock if they are local, mine certainly do.
  • Hi bikbeatris,
    I'm so sorry you're going through the same heartache as I went through last year.
    As for the complaint made about the pigeons defecating onto parked cars - does each blob of poo have a 'p' on it marked for pigeon? Like no other birds fly in and around the park - it's ridiculous!
    Would it be possible for you to take the pigeons some food early morning when nobody is around - or even the night before? Then hopefully the pigeons would eat the food at first light when nobody is around.
    It would be difficult to try to get the pigeons to follow you to the other park, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

Good luck x
  • Please cut down feeding gradually. I know people don't want to get into trouble with horrible neighbours but I'm amazed that an animal lover can have birds so hungry they even come through the cat flap and they still don't relent. Very upsetting. And yes, I'm in the same position myself but am having to cut down gradually. Perhaps if you set up a feeding station in a nearby area as someone has suggested, they will relocate. Personally I'd give them a feed last thing at night and shoo them away do avoid detection from neighbours the rest of the time. Terrible situation all round.
  • I'm so glad it's not just me that feels guilty about stopping food for the pigeons. I have bird feeders in a communal garden but also feed them on my balcony but am very aware they have increased in numbers and am worried there will be complaints. And I too have one very cheeky one who comes right up to my front door... they're not stupid. Also I too am now avoiding going out as they fly down as soon as they see me which obviously then makes people look. So thank you for making me realise I'm not totally alone.... just wish I had more like minded people around me. Give me nature and wildlife over the majority of humansDove
  • I am in a similar predicament. Two white doves befriended us in our garden, asking for food. After a year, we now have 10 nesting under the solar panels, and walking all over them too. The first pair got mites initially, and I was able to cure them with mite dust in their water. They sat in it for a week, went away, and are healthy now. The trouble is, they told all their friends, and now I have been banned from feeding them.
    They are so intelligent and sweet, I have pulled all the blinds down and dare not go in the garden.
    To make matters worse, there is a fledgling that can only just fly up to the roof.

If I put food out secretly, my husband gets woken up by them cooing and fluttering up and down so there is no halfway solution here.
    They do fly off for the day sometimes, where I know not.
    There have been three eggs that have rolled off the roof, so I know they are nesting.
    Please, if you have had this problem a while ago, how long did it take for them to leave? We cannot have a loft of these birds here.
    It breaks my heart too . Any advice welcomed.
  • How did it turn out?? Same thing is happening to me now. Neighbours complained to landlords and I am not allowed to feed them. I've gained the trust of these birds and now I have to completely let them down.
  • Hi Forthebirds33,

I'm so sorry you're going through the same issues as I went through, I know how very upsetting it is.

I found an alternative feeding area not too far from where I live, in an area nobody would have cause to complain; the pigeons soon clocked it and have been feeding there ever since without disturbance.
    Obviously it depends on your locality, but if you can find an area nearby where you could safely feed the pigeons without fear of complaints, then I'm sure the pigeons will find it.

Good luck.
  • Sorry to hear that you have had to stop feeding your birds, many people get a lot of pleasure from watching them. We do need to remember these are wild birds and at this time of year with plenty of wild food, they are quite capable of finding their own food.
  • Thank you Relaxed️ It does help to hear that!
  • Hi thanks so much for your reply. I don't have another spot unfortunately. I think I may be feeling more anxious about the situation than the birds.
    It is nice to have others understanding.