Will flock of pigeons starve when feeding abruptly stops?

Please can anyone offer me some advice/reassurance on the following matter?

I’ve been feeding a fairly large flock of pigeons (about 30) on our shed roof for the last 5 years or so, they come every day and I feed them in the morning and at teatime and sometimes a bit extra in between. I knew some of the neighbours in my row were not overly fond of them but they’d never made a complaint until recently, when I was approached by two neighbours who demanded I stop feeding them as they were tired of their cooing and flying over their gardens. I told them it wasn’t illegal to feed them and ignored them.
A week ago I received a letter from the local council telling me they’d received a complaint and requested I stop feeding the pigeons immediately, obviously the neighbours had reported me. I was very upset but knew that if I was to persist in feeding them it would lead to more trouble with the council and neighbours, so I had no alternative but to stop feeding them.
Today is the seventh day I haven’t fed them and the flock have been sitting on my roof most of the day, right up until 7.30pm at night, waiting to be fed. They are even flying down into my garden and sitting on my living room windowsill looking in at me, something they've never done before. I’m totally heartbroken and distressed and can’t bear to see them looking down at me, in fact I'm avoiding going into my back garden as it's causing me upset to see them there.
I’m worried sick they will starve as I don’t know where else they will go for food, they've been so reliant on me feeding them for so long, it's such a stressful situation and it's cutting me up to see them.
I'm sure a gradual reduction in feeding would have been the best option, but the council won't go for that.
How long will it take before they eventually get the message the food has stopped and fly off and are they likely to starve due to the cessation of their regular food supply?
Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

• My 4 birds very quickly became 40.. if not more. I have fed them twice a day for nearly 2 years, and can identify each bird. But my neighbour has complained and called in pest control. I know I am being watched. I am currently on a two week break from work and have spent three days so far hiding indoors, my heart hurts. I feel so guilty and so sad, they wait outside for hours and literally come down to eat for Minutes !!!! But, I do understand why he doesn’t want them (and their mess) on his conservatory ! Wish they would follow me elsewhere… but as smart as they are, they just don’t understand.
  • Hi guys. What started off as feeding a few sparrows has now led to me feeding so many different kinds of birds including doves and pigeons. I’ve been asked to stop as well for all the same reasons mentioned above.
    It truly is heartbreaking to watch them wait for their food. It’s only day 3 I’ve cut off the food supply and they’re already coming up to my windows looking for me. It’s hard not to see them as they’re always outside my kitchen window. If they hear any sound they come flying down.
    Reading these posts here has definitely made me feel a little better. Hopefully they will just relocate and I won’t have to be sad every day watching them wait for me to feed them.
  • While I don't know how all the pigeons fared here that winter I had to stop feeding them, I do know many of them are still ok. They still come here but I don't outright feed them. I have a bird feeder and they wait for the chickadees to knock food out. I do sneak a few times here and there. Just when there's a few outside.

I recognize a few from the winter before so take heart them seem to fare decently on their own. It's nice to see caring ppl out there tho. We should all start our own community where pigeons are welcome! :)