Bird call

Can anyone tell me what is the bird with a clear, loud single note call that I just heard flying over the Pembrokeshire coast around midnight?

• Hi Annie

Possibly an Oystercatcher. This is labelled as a nocturnal flight call. Anything like what you heard?

Will Scott, XC572933. Accessible at www.xeno-canto.org/572933.

• Thank you. That's it. Do you know why it would be flying half a mile inland and calling so loudly at that time of night?
  • Low tide was around midnight so may have been moving to or between feeding grounds. Oystercatchers have been recorded breeding inland, which may be due to costal disturbance. The call may have been contact calling. All shore waders will feed at night depending on the tide times, potentially it might be a safer time with less predators but I don't have evidence for that one.

CinJ
  • Thank you very much. That's really interesting and makes good sense. The call sounded a little lost and lonely so it could well have been a contact call. I'm happy with that. Cheers.
  • Thank you very much. That's really interesting and makes good sense. The call sounded a little lost and lonely so it could well have been a contact call. I'm happy with that. Cheers.