We have two crows picking holes in our lawn and making a real mess of it. It looks as though they're eating something and they don't appear to be taking anything away with them. Any ideas what they're doing please? Dai James

• Hello Dai,
    I can only speculate that they are finding some sort of invertebrate to eat. Things like leather jackets, worms or even ants. Saves you having to aerate the lawn.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hello Dai
    Agree with TeeJay,and would suggest, that more than likely leatherjackets,they are active April/May,
    and we have families of Corvids ( Crows Jays Jackdaws Ravens Magpies) all ,pecking away making an awful mess,,

Mess soon hoovered up now we started grass cutting..You could treat with Nematodes now, but may need continuous treatment throughout coming months.

• Thanks both. It's not quite"aerating" as they pick up the grass as well and throw it around!!
  • Thanks both. It's not quite"aerating" as they pick up the grass as well and throw it around!!
  • In reply to Dai:

Rosalind S said:
    as they pick up the grass as well and throw it around!!

CHOL:):) That's the 'MESS' i was mentioning

• They will be after grubs, especially leather jackets. Doing you a favour really, ridding your lawn of those pests. Hope they don't dig it up too much though.
  • I personally wouldn't treat home lawns with any pesticides or nematodes. Obviously, bowling greens, cricket pitches etc yes, but not bulk standard averagely kept home lawns. Crane flies are one of numerous species that are important parts of food chains,.......and are in decline.