Fat Great Tit, is it unwell?

We have a resident and very rotund Great Tit that has arrived in our garden over the weekend, we already have a large number of regular Great Tits, Coal Tits and Blue Tits who frequent our garden on a constant basis.

This guy is visiting our feeder but is so much slower and prefers to simply perch, it sits for hours on our decking with its wings slightly fanned and is drinking lots of water too, it is also worryingly unafraid of me and has made no attempt to fly away when approached.

Could it be unwell? I can’t see any particular signs of injuries and it does fly but clearly prefers not to. Surely it is far too late in the year to be ready to lay eggs? Also we recently had very strong winds, could its nest be damaged?

Thanks

• Doesn't look good Joey, including the behaviour.

Other posters know far more than I about illnesses. Hopefully someone will come on with better news?

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Having done some research, I fear it might be trichomoniasis. The advice being to remove our feeder, clean it and put it to one side for a few weeks. However all of our neighbours have bird feeders, so I doubt it will solve the issue.
  • You might be right Joey.

If other posters come with something 'definitive', maybe it's time to visit the neighbours as they might be seeing the same issues.
  • Sorry to read about the Great Tit Joey, as others have said it does sound ill and that it may have that horrid disease. Clean everything, feeders, paving, fencing, anywhere around they may have been and wait a while before introducing food again. If the neighbour's are feeding as well it will help if they did the same, to try and reduce the risk of the infection to others, good luck.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.