Mangy Robin

Hi all,

First post, so apologies if this is in the wrong place! We’ve had a Robin make our garden his territory for the last 6 months or so, but he’s gradually been losing feathers (particularly on his head). We’re assuming it’s mites, but is there anything we can do to help him? We’ve tried supplying dirt baths and water baths, but he’s not interested. We’re keeping him fed but would like to help him further if we can, so any advice would be gratefully received!

• Hi Paxton welcome to the community.
    Yep it looks like it could be mites, so long as he is healthy and feeding well the feathers should grow back.

My Flickr photos

• Thanks for the welcome! We’ve arranged a spot where it’s too awkward for larger birds to feed, and he seems to be our only smaller bird (he might have scared all the others off!). So he’s getting plenty of food. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed and keep the food coming. Thanks again for your help!
  • It is getting to the time of year were it will go quiet as the birds naturally moult after the breeding season.
    Hope you see its feathers grow back.

My Flickr photos

• Hello Paxton, that is poor looking fellow you have there, hopefully as Alan says he will recover.
    Welcome from up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.