Blue tits abandoned nest & chicks

I’ve had a pair of nesting blue tits in my garden. They’ve built a nest & laid eggs..we’d noticed we haven’t seen them in a day or two..I just looked inside their box and I think all the chicks are dead. Should I lift the nest out and check if there are any still alive, if there are is it possible to hand rear? And does anyone know why they would abandon their babies?

theyve come back this morning but didn’t go into the box, one looked in them they flew off. 

• It may not have been one of the parent birds looking in. Or, it may have been the surviving parent.

Several possibilities re nest failure. Most obvious two are loss of a parent, and lack of food. IMO, another possibility is the wrong food being fed to chicks. They need protein and also 'fluid' that insect prey provides.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Should I remove the nest? It was definitely a pair but yeah I have no idea if it was the same birds. The Male has definitely been bringing the female lots of insects every couple of minutes. So sad.
  • No, best to leave any nest where it is. It could end up being used as a roost. Some species try again (not usually blue tits though). All recommendations though are to not empty nests boxes until Autumn.