Raven talking to me??

I have a pair of wild ravens and a pair of crows that I spend time with, the bolder of the raven pair comes and stands near us and bobs his head, clicks his beak and makes a quiet noise that sounds like a child saying MUM until I give him some food - what is he/she saying really?

I love watching the interaction between them and the crows, but this is something I have only seen him/her do when he is on his own near me.

• It does seem like the Raven has got you well trained! Hope you continue to enjoy the experience all the same.

Nige   Flickr

• A "tame" Raven made the local news last year when he started to talk to visitors at Knaresborough castle in a Yorkshire accent. I think the lady in charge held the title of keeper of the Queens Ravens or similar.
    On a more serious note I have just finished reading a book by Jim Crumley ,the nature of Winter, and he describes having a conversation with a Raven while out walking so maybe you are on the right track.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I no longer have any doubt that he is talking to me, today there were no other birds up there for a while (very bad weather) and he found me , stayed about twenty feet away for a while, then starting nagging me! There is no way it can have been meant for another bird. However, it's just as well I don't have an audience, as being followed around by a big black bird calling mum, mum - must look a little odd!
    I never realised they had such a repertoire, I can recognise some of the calls now, but it's these very quiet talking noises that I've never heard before.