Frog spawn in garden pond

I have a small pond in my garden which looks dirty and has a lot of leaves from the tree above and is quite shallow (however room to add more water) - tonight I have noticed a frog and frog spawn in the pond. Is there anything I can do to make it more habitable for the frogs? Do I need to top it up with more water? And should I try and clean out the water and garden debris? Thanks!

• Hi,

Sorry no one replied. Another post that appears to have got lost in the architecture issue that's still ongoing.

Re the pond, leaves aren't necessarily a problem. Unless stagnant, best to let nature take its course. If there's a dry spell, worth topping up, but only with rain water. Tap water should be left as a last resort if it looks like it's drying out.

Rob
  • Great that you have frog spawn, still waiting for mine ... I regularly clear leaves & excess algae from my pond & top up with tapwater to which I have added aquasafe to make it harmless to my goldfish!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I agree with clearing leaves from fish ponds. Fishes need more oxygen in the water, and usually cleaner conditions. Wildlife , however, has evolved with leaves ever since trees existed. Most of the best ponds I have seen tadpoles in have plenty of leaf matter.
  • My frogs here, although they have a separate small wildlife pond which is quite mucky, also share goldfish pond for whatever reason best known to them!  Am waiting to see where they choose to spawn, should I be so lucky!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks for your responses! I have now noticed 3 frogs in the pond every evening since, its amazing how nature does its thing, i live in a city so was surprised to see them in my garden haha! My one concern is that the water IS stagnant, lots of leaf matter and algae and possibly some sort of bug living in there (looks like sea monkeys or something tiny swimming around) I've not long lived in this house (rented property) and dont think the previous tennants cared much for the garden or the pond. Dont want to disturb the frogs by cleaning it out but hoping the dirty water isnt too much of an issue for them? Thanks everyone :)
  • Hi,
    I have a wildlife pond and it is rather murky, it seems that only I object to this as have lots of frogs and newts which are now returning to breed for the 7th year running. Here is a video of last years motor boarding sounds and shinanigans. Please note I use Sunbird nic for lots of chats and ytube stuff. Hope you can view

Regards S

www.youtube.com/watch
  • In reply to isobelflora:

Hi , so hope you can view this years froggies

Regards S

There is a Newt on Red Leaf in this one^

• Just tonight have discovered two quite large frogs in my goldfish pond but no spawn yet! The biggest of the two nicked off whilst changing battery on cam, but this one looks a decent size too, guessing last year babies who must have hibernated nearby ... so thrilled!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to SheenaR1280103212:

Couple more pictures of my wildlife pond , gosh it feels odd replying to oneself 

Day time view and yes lambs are in the field opposite my home..

No frog spawn as of yet but ^^ should have some soon I think!

S

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Am doing same Sheena, drawback of having to use old reply box!! Lol

Gender of my frogs determined tonight ... a couple of blokes waiting for a female to find them!!