Blue tit behaviour question

Morning all Have a couple of questions on some blue tit behaviour I've been seeing. I put my first nest box up back in late March and within (literally) 45 minutes two blue tits were checking it out and took up residency! I am super chuffed and have been tracking their progress since. They now have chicks in there which hatched about 7 days ago. I feed all the birds wax worms and meal worms every morning and the two blue tits are always first up - they even fly onto the feeders while I'm still holding them and have become very relaxed around me (though not other people, which is good). Initially both male and female were equally feeding the chicks - in and out a dizzying amount of times a day. But in the last couple of days I've noticed that the female takes a worm, goes inside, and then stays inside for a while. This behaviour most irritates the male who sits outside with a worm in his beak waiting and squawking for her to come out... flying up to the hole in an agitated fashion and then away again, almost like he's trying to coax her back out. Sometimes he succeeds and she flies out and then he goes straight in and out again for more food, or sometimes he gives up and goes in there with her still inside and then flies out again to get more food. I wondered why the female might be reluctant to come out - is it typical behaviour that the female wants to stay with the chicks inside? Whatever it is it seems to most annoy the male who is doing a sterling job of feeding them! I also noticed that when I first put out the worms in the morning that the female is still doing the courtship feeding thing of flapping her wings and squeaking like she wants to be fed. Is it typical for this to go on even when they are at the stage where chicks have hatched? (The male completely ignores her and so she gives up and starts feeding the chicks). Is my female blue tit just particularly high maintenance?! :)
  • l must say l really don't know, the only thing thats comes to mind l wonder if this is her first lot of babys and shes not quite sure what to do and her mate is more experience so trying to do the right thing, if l'm right hope they figure it out.

lt makes me think of some young mums Humans wanting there freedom, and miss being young and care free, but still loving there baby so much. lets hope some expert can throw more light. Gillian. all the best from yas

• Hi Gillian, it's quite normal for the female to continue to quiver her wings at the male at times.   I suppose it's a form of begging on behalf of the chicks!

Your female is behaving quite normally by staying with the chicks.   This will gradually reduce as they get bigger and more able to control their own body warmth.   I really don't understand why the male is reluctant to go inside the box when she's there.   They would normally be happy to share feeding duties at the same time and it's something he's going to have to get used to!  

• Thanks so much for the answers! I did wonder if perhaps it's a bit cramped in there and that's why he's not keen to go in when she's there - sometimes he does, it just seems to be sometimes it agitates him. Will be interesting when they fledge to see how many of them there are in there!

Glad to hear she's not slacking in her parental duties anyway!

Next year I'm definitely investing in a nest box camera - I am riveted!

• Ahh how lovely to read your post and the answers! We also have nesting blue tits for the first time in a box on our house and we are also riveted and will be getting a camera next year! Ours are following the same behaviour that you have described. She’s flapping her wings at him a lot and staying inside a bit longer, not sure but I reckon ours have only been hatched a few days, maybe 3-5? We haven’t heard the babies yet but they must have hatched with the amount of catipillars going in! So lovely to watch them from our window, they sit on the bottom nearest branch of our silver birch as the general taking off point to goto box, it’s no more than 3 meters away, the box is then on the ledge of an old blocked up window about a meter to the left, so they fly right past us.
    But the thing is we are now concerned that we’ve made a mistake on where we’ve placed it, never having had one before, we thought it was a good idea but now realise it could be the perfect spot for a magpie or jay to perch, wait and pick off the babies or parents, or possibly even put their head in and grab them :( :(
    We’ve seen both around occasionally, we are being very vigilant but obviously cannot watch 24/7. Fingers and toes crossed for them all. Any advice from anyone would be good! Also we only put sunflower heats out, is there anything else we should put out for parents or babies? Many thanks, Tracey :)
  • We have two coconut shells filled with suet and I think insect/seed mix to give the birds fat for energy. We’ve also got two suction window feeders, with sunflower hearts in. The dried meal worms weren’t eaten so we’ve stopped putting those out.