Kestrels in the Quarry 2013...

The pair showed up on 13th March & were checking out the nest - here's hoping..............

Have posted all I've taken today, unedited, as I'm so excited!!!  They both flew off & now Mr Kestrel has returned to nest & sitting, waiting like a spider in the middle of a web!  Just going to video him

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Such a long time since Mr K last visited - was beginning to think I'd never see him again - how wrong was I ?!!

Came back home from rescuing a biker with a flat tyre (OH!) & Mr K was perched on top of his telegraph pole - rushed for cam, set it up & .... gone!  Was extremely disappointed but when I was going out again (to rescue bike!) there he was on the cliff & this time I managed some pics (& vids of course)

The now famous 'headless' view

He was being harassed by a couple of Magpies & decamped to the tree where he was bleached by the sun!

First vid of him on the cliff face

Then in the tree where you will see a brief appearance of Magpie (don't blink!)

Then Magpies depart leaving Mr K to relax in sun in peace looking handsome as ever

Finally, I played about with his takeoff - as this is such a speedy moment I captured some stills from the vid & put them in a slideshow ('cos I can lol) - the clarity leaves much to be desired but the actions are pretty good IMO!!

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I certainly did enjoy them Wendy. The videos are brilliant. He is such a handsome bird. I am so happy that you saw him and were able to capture him on camera. Thank you.

• Awww,  he's a real beauty Wendy and good to see Mr. K back again.   The photos and videos are wonderful and glad to see you had a lovely clear blue sky :)      

Regards, Hazel 

• Ditto what the others have said, Wendy.  Mr. K is gorgeous and so are your photos/videos--thanks!  I noticed the blue skies, too--lucky you!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks all!  

As you so rightly say D - it is quite a feat (get it?) to be able to scratch at 90 mph & remain uninjured!!

Hope he does come back as regularly as he did during last Winter - one certainty is that you will all hear about it!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Had email from Tony yesterday with two pics of Kestrels which were very near to me - George is one of the above & he is on his own in the second pic but it is too large to post as is & I m having all sorts of problems transferring it to a programme where I can reduce the size.  Trouble seems to be that it is in the wrong format!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Just remembered how to do it!!!

That Tony sends me pics in Google mail which are usually much too large or too small but if I download them instead of just copying they are accepted into Windows Live Photo Gallery where I can easily resize - it's the only way I know!

EDIT:  So here is the lovely George K - Tony has ID'd him from his marked leg although it doesn't show here - so pleased he's surviving!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• He's lovely, Wendy. How great to be able to video him looking so relaxed and enjoying the sunshine

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wonderful to see George K, Wendy. It must be fantastic for you to see him again. Thank you

• Just catching up and looking at your videos of Mr K.   Love the one of him basking in the sun and balancing on the end of the twig, wonderful stuff.   Lovely to see George too and glad he has survived.

Lot to learn