Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 5 Cornwall Seal Sanctuary; Gweek

As with most of the holidays Mrs PR and myself take, they very much a relaxed time, choices often made on the weather for the day ahead, plus how our general mobility is.

It was intended to visit the Cornwall Seal Sanctuary,at the top of the Helford River before it narrows to become a river, it was pure chance that following on from  Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 4 Godrevy  

The Ordnance Survey map below should give an idea how far up the River Helford Gweek is.

The village of Gweek itself is a fascinating village, and being on the upper reaches of the Helford there is a boat yard where a lot of vessels are maintained, and  in varying states of repair.

The seal sanctuary earlier this year made the former humboldt penguin home, a new home to Atlantic Puffins. Click HERE to read the press release about Atlantic Puffins at  the sanctuary. If you want to see last years visit to the seal sanctuary, and see the mentioned humboldt penguins, you can read that in Cornwall Wildlife 2023 pt 4; Cornish Seal Sanctuary,  last years visit.

The day started with a rather red looking sky... Shephard's warning etc....

while colourful, the day did stay fine

using  the Star6 filter

and the early morning sun casting a lovely glow over the beach

After checking in at the reception, it was a quick browse around the gift shop and info points before hitching a ride from the reception up to the sanctuary.

It was getting near to feeding time, all daytime feeding sessions are accompanied by a very informative talk on the seals, the care and other vital and interesting pieces of information. I'll cut the blurb, and just share the photos and  links to some Flickr video links.

Watch the fish....

Yes, there's  always a hopeful gull...

and the nursery pups...

and the Atlantic Puffins

There is also conservation work with beavers, and while we didn't expect to see any, this is the rehoming enclosure used to rehabilitate the beavers.

More seal activity, someone looked bored....

until the camera was  pointed at her....

A buzzard appeared in a paddock atop the hill

more seal activity, this time from the underwater viewing gallery

Click the projector  Point right Projector  to see a short video of a seal viewed in the underwater gallery.

Back at base, the autumn high tide

and the setting sun

Part 6 to follow soon, if you haven't become bored with it all...

• Nice sunrise and sunset photo's Mike. The seal photo's through the glass came out well. Always nice to see puffins Slight smile

• Excellent shots Mike. Loved the photos of the seals, they are such amusing characters. Have the Puffins had some kind of contact with an oil slick? They look rather stained. I like the seal swimming upside down .. I assume it was, or was you doing headstands ... Smile. Not bored at all, I enjoyed having a look around the seal sanctuary free of charge ... Blush. It has me feel like fish for tea ... Laughing.

• Nice sunrise and sunset photo's Mike. The seal photo's through the glass came out well. Always nice to see puffins Slight smile

Thank you Snappy.

One thing I have noticed with the R5 vs the 5D4, is the improved clarity through glass without the need for a CP filter. However, the CP is necessary to reduce reflections.

The puffins have a variety of health and welfare issues, hence the permanent moult/dowdy plumage look.  Other than that, they look happy and always extremely alert when one of the staff approach. Potential food for the puffins.....

The bored and fed up seal, I've just created  a gif, which unfortunately doesn't work on Flickr, so  once I've trimmed it, I'll share the gif here.

• Thank you BD.

The seals are very inquisitive, and intelligent. I've copied and pasted part of the text in my reply to  along with a little more info.

The puffins have a variety of health and welfare issues, hence the permanent moult/dowdy plumage look.  Other than that, they look happy and always extremely alert when one of the staff approach. Potential food for the puffins..... If  you click HERE you can read about the puffins and their backgrounds which attribute to the dowdy/moulting  plumage look. Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture them on video, but watching some of them, you can see they have potential nervous conditions. Other than that, they seemed happy in their new environment and the staff do their utmost to ensure the puffins welfare is top notch.

The bored and fed up seal, I've just created a gif, which unfortunately doesn't work on Flickr, so once I've trimmed it, I'll share the gif here. I really should have taken a video, the sudden change of expression from bored and  fed up, to, "ooo, Eyes I have an audience" as I moved the camera. They're not daft.

Incidentally, all photos and videos on this day were taken using the R5 & 24-240 lens.