Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 2 Battery Rocks, Mounts Bay, Penzance

Following on from RE: Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 1 Arrival Day  the next trip out, was to Penzance, Mrs PR likes the shops there, and there are some nice cafes to call in for a cuppa and bite. My preference, is Battery Rocks, which overlooks Mounts Bay, along with the passing  shipping, helicopters to and from the Scilly Isles, and of course, the wildlife.

I've deliberately held back on posting this part, because there were some very young birds, on a rock in the bay, which should by now, be well on the way to fending for themselves, assuming no natural predation.

So, not quite a sunrise, though the dawn sky did look colourful.

Once the sun managed to break through the cloud, Chapel Rock looked magnificent 

Now Mounts Bay, a couple of vessels at anchor, and BTW, those satellite dishes in the distance, are the famous Goonhilly Satellite Receiving Station on the Lizard Peninsula

The regular helicopter service from Penzance to St Mary's or Tresco on the Scilly Isles. If ever you get the chance, visit the Scilly Isles (I know one or two regular here have been), it's good for birding, and Tresco Abbey Gardens, are just a sub tropical paradise.

Now the wildlife, starting with ringed plovers

Looks like this one had found something to nibble...

There were still lots of youngsters, hardly surprising with being a warmer area. I think, these were juvenile ringed plovers. The other species quite common there is turnstones, but they were not to be seen this time.

and cropped

One for  a placid dinoauromont on the  rocks...

When the tide recedes, there are plenty of barnacles on the rocks...

I didn't see any blenny's in the rock pools this time, though the one I would normally see them in, was still under water until going home time.

There were plenty of great black backed gulls around the bay

and of course, St Michael's Mount across the bay, another fascinating place for wildlife, as well as the spectacular of the property, island, and of course, Cornish Cream Teas

Herring Gulls

Another great black backed gull, taking a very short flight

Of course, the pied wagtails made an appearance, even if the wind did mess with it's tu tu....

Stay tuned  for the next installment.... Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 3 to follow soon