Birds and game shooting

Today I've seen two articles about game shooting.

The first by Tim Bonner of the Countryside Alliance is on a recurring theme: conservationist's views are based on second hand experience, only gamekeepers and farmers know what really happens. The topic is release of gamebirds. I've been involved in this for over  40 years when I had to sort out a super intensive shoot on Forestry Commission land. 5 acres looked like something from the Somme, muddy with corrugated iron shelters. Since then releases have become more and more intensive as, as so often happens, sport has slithered into money. Did you know that the biomass (weight) of gamebirds released in Britain is now more than the total weight of al the wild birds put together ? Quite a thought.

Direct damage - trampling the vegetation, eating both plants and insects is one thing but an even bigger impact may be the incredible supply of carrion from Pheasants shot and wounded, or just starving when feeding ends at the end of the shooting season. Going on through the winter, they provide food in the naturally lean time when predators like foxes and crows might starve. You'll have read about the struggle to save iconic and wonderful birds like Curlew from predation - the tangled ecology may well reach back to a pheasant release pen in the summer.

The other announcement is research led by RSPB's Professor Rhys Green on lead shot. Despite the promotion of a voluntary ban on the use of lead shot over 90% of pheasants examined last winter were still shot with lead. Lead is a highly toxic poison removed from paint, water pipes, petrol and toy soldiers decades ago - but not from shot game. It is way beyond time for a legal ban as the voluntary approach has clearly failed - and hopefully a new Government will move quickly to outlaw lead shot.