A year in photos by Hazy

Firstly,  thank you all for your support, especially that of Wendy,  when I had problems with my account due to rspb technical software issues which resulted in false-flagging spam/abuse and was sorry to learn that during my long absence there were similar problems for other forumates accounts.     

I don't take anything like the number of photos these days and haven't upgraded to mirrorless yet so still using the Canon 5Dmkiii with the 300mm f2.8 lens which much of the time needs the 2 x converter with many species being too distant.      4 years ago, as most of you know, we gave up our large woodland garden to move into an apartment although we do have access to parkland/woodland and even a bird hide overlooking a large mere.       In order to contribute something I have decided to choose a selection of photos from the time I've been off the community which includes visits to Leighton Moss in Silverdale and our first visit to Minsmere last May which was beyond impressive with the variety of species around.     So as not to overload you with all the photos, I will add them in batches, a few at a time.    Remember, these are taken over a long period of time and at different times and seasons of the year. !!    

So where to begin ? ............... maybe I'll start with photos from where I live and this shows the pond which our apartment overlooks ..........   

As I say, these are all random photos taken throughout the year so don't panic when you see chicks in this section. !

We have a lot of small birds which visit a ground and hanging feeder we have on our balcony and have had over 20 different species to the balcony including Greenfinch, Bullfinch, G.S.Woodpecker and Siskin on rare occasion but most days its the various members of the tit family,   BT, GT, CT 

Male sparrowhawk perched on the balcony rail - who wouldn't be scared of that LQQk  ?   lol 

not crystal clear as taken through the patio doors 

On the water below we've seen Moorhens, Swans, Mallards and even Kingfishers.      Each year the moorhens and mallards have broods so we only have to lean over the balcony to see them.

Sadly, none of these moorchicks survived last year and the adult female died defending her offspring  from Grey Herons but as we know and have to accept,  it's all part of nature "red in tooth and claw"  :(

offspring at the Heronry;   comical looking chicks which look a little prehistoric !

We also have a large number of wild Mandarin ducks that breed here - I think numbers have been higher in the past, but last count of visible Mandarin was 90+

and the drakes can be feisty too over securing a mate .....

Lady Mandarin 

Before PB gets too bored I will include a Cormorant which are often seen around on mere  LOL. 

lots of regulars by the bird hide including this cute little Wren

Also a Chiffchaff at the hide ...

Last year on the residential parkland we were treated to the sight of Spotted Flycatchers which bred so got a few quick pics of them 

lots of 'lollipops' around 

Not far from home we saw this Tawny Owl;   snoozing during the day

Other birds on the local mere include Tufted ducks, Shovelers  ...

and our resident Mute Swan pair finally raised a brood of 6 cygnets which all survived :)

and the proud parents of the cygnets ....

I think that's enough to swamp you with for now .........    I'll upload some from visits to Leighton Moss and first visit to Minsmere next time ..... 

Regards, Hazel 

• A lovely set to finish with, I thnk I counted about that number of starlings! Thanks for a great comeback with your photos and stories.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• An utterly amazing photo of the Starlings taking off Hazy, your eyes must be pin sharp now as your photos are so clear. Just love the three amigos too, the markings on the Snipe are wonderful I think.
    Just about recovered after watching the rugby last night!!!!!!! I took a quick walk down the local fields but apart from hearing a lot of bird song there was nothing to photograph, well there would have been if I had seen the buzzard sat on a branch just in front of me, but it of course saw me and took off leaving me with an empty field to capture!!!!

Lot to learn

• Lots of great photo's Hazy, I like the Heron and Egret having lunch :)
  • Thanks everyone.

gaynorsl said:
    Just about recovered after watching the rugby last night!!!!!!!

Was an exciting match and could have gone either way just like the England game when we won by a mere 3 points,  Wales were unlucky to lose by one point and playing well in the2nd half.

gaynorsl said:
    if I had seen the buzzard sat on a branch just in front of me, but it of course saw me and took off leaving me with an empty field to capture!!!!

Sounds like your local buzzard will give you lots of opportunity to photograph it again,  I remember those wonderful photos you took of it perched up near your home.    With spring and breeding season around the corner I'm looking forward to seeing all the wildlife activity in your garden and local area.    :)

Regards, Hazel 

• A fantastic set of photos to close the thread with.

I loved the GWE and GH with their catch, and the starlings, I was going crosseyed trying to count them, and they were still, not moving!