A year in photos by Hazy

Firstly,  thank you all for your support, especially that of Wendy,  when I had problems with my account due to rspb technical software issues which resulted in false-flagging spam/abuse and was sorry to learn that during my long absence there were similar problems for other forumates accounts.     

I don't take anything like the number of photos these days and haven't upgraded to mirrorless yet so still using the Canon 5Dmkiii with the 300mm f2.8 lens which much of the time needs the 2 x converter with many species being too distant.      4 years ago, as most of you know, we gave up our large woodland garden to move into an apartment although we do have access to parkland/woodland and even a bird hide overlooking a large mere.       In order to contribute something I have decided to choose a selection of photos from the time I've been off the community which includes visits to Leighton Moss in Silverdale and our first visit to Minsmere last May which was beyond impressive with the variety of species around.     So as not to overload you with all the photos, I will add them in batches, a few at a time.    Remember, these are taken over a long period of time and at different times and seasons of the year. !!    

So where to begin ? ............... maybe I'll start with photos from where I live and this shows the pond which our apartment overlooks ..........   

As I say, these are all random photos taken throughout the year so don't panic when you see chicks in this section. !

We have a lot of small birds which visit a ground and hanging feeder we have on our balcony and have had over 20 different species to the balcony including Greenfinch, Bullfinch, G.S.Woodpecker and Siskin on rare occasion but most days its the various members of the tit family,   BT, GT, CT 

Male sparrowhawk perched on the balcony rail - who wouldn't be scared of that LQQk  ?   lol 

not crystal clear as taken through the patio doors 

On the water below we've seen Moorhens, Swans, Mallards and even Kingfishers.      Each year the moorhens and mallards have broods so we only have to lean over the balcony to see them.

Sadly, none of these moorchicks survived last year and the adult female died defending her offspring  from Grey Herons but as we know and have to accept,  it's all part of nature "red in tooth and claw"  :(

offspring at the Heronry;   comical looking chicks which look a little prehistoric !

We also have a large number of wild Mandarin ducks that breed here - I think numbers have been higher in the past, but last count of visible Mandarin was 90+

and the drakes can be feisty too over securing a mate .....

Lady Mandarin 

Before PB gets too bored I will include a Cormorant which are often seen around on mere  LOL. 

lots of regulars by the bird hide including this cute little Wren

Also a Chiffchaff at the hide ...

Last year on the residential parkland we were treated to the sight of Spotted Flycatchers which bred so got a few quick pics of them 

lots of 'lollipops' around 

Not far from home we saw this Tawny Owl;   snoozing during the day

Other birds on the local mere include Tufted ducks, Shovelers  ...

and our resident Mute Swan pair finally raised a brood of 6 cygnets which all survived :)

and the proud parents of the cygnets ....

I think that's enough to swamp you with for now .........    I'll upload some from visits to Leighton Moss and first visit to Minsmere next time ..... 

Regards, Hazel 

• Not sleeping yet! Another great selection Hazel, thanks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Well, just about to retire when I thought I would have a quick look in only to find your fabulous photos Hazy. Great to see you back and so glad to see you haven't lost your touch. Your Minsmere thread is so enticing, what with the elusive Bittern nearly entering the hide and the bird that you hear but never see - the Cetti's Warbler - well then you also put up the endearing little water vole, I shall go to bed happy.

Lot to learn

• Excellent stuff Hazy! Glad you ended up with such an eclectic mix :-) It was nice to bump in to you after all these years - we won't run away when you return, don't worry! We'll be around some of your next visit (though scheduled for some time on Havergate as well if my memory serves near that time), so you should be able to find us somewhere for a chat :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Thanks everyone and looking forward to our next visit to Minsmere !  

@ Gaynor,  good to be amongst forumate friends again and hope to catch up on Anglesey or at Leighton Moss one day x 

@ WJ,  we'll try catch up with you and Mrs WJ sometime during that week so I'll look out for a camera at digger alley,  or catching the Terns in flight or the burrowing bees - I'll know its you.  LOL 

Regards, Hazel 

• Certainly lots of activity when you visited. We have seen Bitten at Minsmere, but never had to duck :)
  • Who could get bored with such an excellent set of photos!

I look forward to the next and future installments.  Thumbsup

• On the way back from Minsmere we broke the journey and called in at rspb Lakenheath Fen;  only took a couple of photos as I missed the bittern in flight going past the hide as I was sitting at the wrong end looking the other way  !!.....

Beautiful sedge warbler who duly obliged ....

and a reed warbler 

and the greylag family were out for a stroll 

Photos from Leighton Moss next 

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely additions aitch! Hugging

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Ok, to finish off this thread I will add a selection of photos taken on visits to Leighton Moss rspb in Silverdale, Lancashire;  it is a wonderful reserve with varied habitat from woodland, salt marsh and one of the largest reed beds.

male Bearded Reedling up in a tree for a change !

Great Egret with lunch .....

going... going.... gone. !!   good job its got a wide neck.  lol

the Grey Heron was also feeling hungry .............  caught a tench I think ?

always love catching up with the bold and beautiful Marsh Tits when visiting LM

This "one-eyed"  Bittern spent many days parading in front of the public hide on the Causeway giving visitors some grand views although it looked a bit bedraggled here,  bless it

Pied Wagtail keeping an eye on the paparazzi.  ! 

Drake Shoveler in fine fettle .....

Handsome Teal drake ...

The three snipe amigos ......

One or two starlings.  !!    numbers reached almost 100,000  (seen to the right of Lilians Hide and Sky Tower 

Mediterranean Gull at the salt marsh seen from the Morecambe hide 

and that concludes this thread,  thanks all for viewing and the kind replies.  X 

Regards, Hazel 

• Final pics are super aitch, thanks for entertaining us and do hope you see & snap some more lovely birds to share with us!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr