Odds & Sods 2024

Kicking off this year's odds and sods with Starlings in a rainbow on that extreme rarity: sunshine.

It was early morning, with the sun barely cresting the tree line. We were able to get out for our morning walk as it wasn't raining. This photo is my trusty Canon 80D and Sigma 18-300mm lens zoomed in at 300mm.

Pulling back a bit.

And finally all the way back.

Oh, 2024 got off to a good start with this.

So far my cat, perhaps two neighbouring cats visiting our garden, a local fox and Tawny owl, and this trap have accounted for at least five of the beasties. Sightings of rats in our garden are getting rarer, so I think I'm winning. Two rather timid and wary rats, that I know of, are proving more elusive to catch. I've resorted to buying a lethal trap. The trap was triggered, yesterday, but no rat, sadly. Though a mouse might have triggered it, and was small enough to be within the kill bar.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Thanks Scozmos. I haven't had a huge amount of time with them but it appears that when they are in full hunt mode they tend to ignore you even if you are pretty close. Other times they just seem to fly off.

• I think you're right Bob, when they're concentrating you can get really close if you're careful, here's to many more Thumbsup

• Morning all,

Thanks for your kind comments about the potty Robin taking a bath in the pouring rain.

Whilst this whole year has felt on the soggy side, there were brief glimpses of the sun, along with dry days. The Memsahib had to drop some books off to an ex-colleague who lived just north of Henley-on-Thames. We decided to combine the drop off with a circular Thames walk, and we lucked out (sort of) with the weather. Sunny to start, but very cloudy at the end, but at least dry.

The walk started at the Mill End Car Park, Skirmett Road, northwest of Henley. We walked down to Hamblden locks, crossed the Thames, walked along the Thames path (avoiding the rowing coaches on their bikes), before turning left at Henley bridge. We had a fabulous lunch at the Little Angel pub, before continuing our walk along the Chiltern way (I believe) to eventually rejoin the Thames near the Flower pot hotel. We turned left towards Hambleden locks, before crossing the Thames to head back to our car.

I took my Canon 80D and Sigma 18-300mm lens. I didn't take my R7 or big lens with me, mainly as I wasn't expecting much in the way of wildlife. Also, the weather hinted at lots of cloud. The 80D does a better job of focusing in low contrast, cloudy conditions than the R7.

My first surprise was how much wildfowl there was along this stretch of the Thames - which was very busy with plenty walkers, dogs and pleasure craft; in addition to all the rowing crews - singles, pairs, fours and eights. My second surprise (and a huge one at that) was how tame the birds were. As an example, Egyptian geese. These normally take to wing if I as much as look at them from a distance of 100 yards. Yet the ones on Hambleden lock were quite happy for me to get within six feet of them, and quietly posed for me as I took their photo. Astonishing.

Anyway, enough waffle. We'll kick off with one of the highlights of our walk. A Cormorant catching a Roach with garnish. Least ways I think it's a roach.

How lucky was that?!?!

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• An impressive catch Angus, nice photo's.

• An impressive catch

For the bird, or Angus, Snappy? 

Super sequence Angus... and look.... butter wouldn't mouth in that last image lol

• Great action shots Angus. I particularly like numbers 2 & 3 ... Thumbsup

• Ickle Robin just landed on my garden fencing. Always a welcome visitor. Taken through my front window ... not too manky, the window cleaner came the other day ... Smile

• Laughing I'm my window cleaner BD, sadly, better at ignoring it than the cleaning part, lovely shot Thumbsup

• Thanks Scozmos. My window cleaner is very good, he comes fortnightly, charges a fiver and does my garage windows and the plastic doors on my shed and garage if they look a bit grubby. I sacked my last one for missing windows!

• Very nice BD, I like this style of photo.