Odds & Sods 2024

Kicking off this year's odds and sods with Starlings in a rainbow on that extreme rarity: sunshine.

It was early morning, with the sun barely cresting the tree line. We were able to get out for our morning walk as it wasn't raining. This photo is my trusty Canon 80D and Sigma 18-300mm lens zoomed in at 300mm.

Pulling back a bit.

And finally all the way back.

Oh, 2024 got off to a good start with this.

So far my cat, perhaps two neighbouring cats visiting our garden, a local fox and Tawny owl, and this trap have accounted for at least five of the beasties. Sightings of rats in our garden are getting rarer, so I think I'm winning. Two rather timid and wary rats, that I know of, are proving more elusive to catch. I've resorted to buying a lethal trap. The trap was triggered, yesterday, but no rat, sadly. Though a mouse might have triggered it, and was small enough to be within the kill bar.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Another great selection Angus, thanks for taking us on your trip.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Saw this nice grass snake warming on the tarmac. It quickly headed for the hills via the grass bank. I’m thinking it’s male because it was smaller ones I’ve seen. I’m expecting the male to be smaller than the female.

• Nice shots Mr Kes, well timed catching the tongue in the top photo.

• Superb photos Angus from around Litton, Tansley Dale and Cressbrook Dale.

Many memories were brought back of a similar walk I did, starting from Monsal Head, Upperdale, past Cressbrook Mill, Tansley Dale, lunch at The Red Lion Litton, Tideswell Dale and back to Monsal Head.

Some long established community members here may recall a posting I shared, and how the software edited out an actual place name due to the spelling of it, which provided quite a laugh.

• Another brilliant post, 300mm lens or not, those photos were superb.

Fairholmes is an overly popular place, not just with walkers, but cyclists as well. Nearby Heatherdene car park also fills up very quickly.

The Derwent Dam during winter is spectacular when the reservoir overflows, A tripod and remote shutter release for that spectacular is well rewarded.

I recognised the path leading south towards Lost Lad, quite a tale of a young shepherd who lost his life to look after the sheep. The last time I was up there, the weather suddenly turned bad, along with the other two walking companions, we had to shelter behind Wheel Stones rock to put our waterproof overtrousers on. By heck that was horizontal rain with a force.

I wonder if you managed to see the Cakes of Bread, weathered gritstone formations that look like giant scones, also the Salt Cellar, which is easy to miss from the main path?

I'll end with a memory jogger, the bearded vulture, was supposed to have set up a temporary home a little further north from there across Howden Moor.

Angus, it's been a superb pleasure reading your story and seeing your photos of some of the many places I have walked, and camped, during my pre-accident days.

• That was a very good capture Mr Kes!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Mike.  It was a really nice walk. Some sections busy with people (the Polish contingent not withstanding) and quiet in others. Fairly easy walking.

• Here are some further scenic shots. I spun round after photographing my old lady to take this shot of Lost Lad Tor. We sheltered to the right of the small cairn to escape the cold wind while we lunched.

Onwards to Cakes of Bread.

Salt cellar.

And finally Wheel Stones, which we passed before our descent.