Odds & Sods 2024

Kicking off this year's odds and sods with Starlings in a rainbow on that extreme rarity: sunshine.

It was early morning, with the sun barely cresting the tree line. We were able to get out for our morning walk as it wasn't raining. This photo is my trusty Canon 80D and Sigma 18-300mm lens zoomed in at 300mm.

Pulling back a bit.

And finally all the way back.

Oh, 2024 got off to a good start with this.

So far my cat, perhaps two neighbouring cats visiting our garden, a local fox and Tawny owl, and this trap have accounted for at least five of the beasties. Sightings of rats in our garden are getting rarer, so I think I'm winning. Two rather timid and wary rats, that I know of, are proving more elusive to catch. I've resorted to buying a lethal trap. The trap was triggered, yesterday, but no rat, sadly. Though a mouse might have triggered it, and was small enough to be within the kill bar.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.

• Very pretty snail shell SM!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks all. I aim to please.

We decided to tackle the Five Dales walk - mainly as it starts and ends where we are staying. I decided to tote my long lens with me, as we would be walking through a variety of landscapes, as well as along a river, offering the possibility of many interesting wildlife shots.

However, I had a bad feeling about the day, much like this depressed Jackdaw. Having climbed up a set of steps to reach roof top height, there were few Jackdaws around. And what few there were around had decided to be largely out of camera range. No scratching Jackdaws today, SM.

Hoping for something a bit better near some barns at the top of the hill along Litton Dale, I was crushed as very little made an appearance. I managed this distant Skylark, heavily cropped from a photo with my lens at 600mm. Interesting that the Skylarks we heard yelling at each other all decided to be lazy and do so from the top of dry stone walling.

Even the swallows around some barns weren't playing ball, being largely absent. We couldn't hang around for them to return, as we had a long 7.7 mile walk to complete.

At least these calves came over to say hello.

Getting to Tansley Dale, we dutifully read a small information board, which pointed out interesting flora and fauna to watch for...including Purple Orchids. Well now, getting excited about seeing a rare orchid, we kept our eyes peeled for summat that looke purplish and like an orchid. We were quickly rewarded, and I took loads of photos.

I consulted Google, when we returned home, only to discover that Purple Orchids are common and widespread. Sheesh!

We reached Cressbrook dale, whereupon I spotted a bird, an actual bird, sat on top of dry stone wall, quite close. Yeah! Whipped up camera, trained it on to bird, only to get this...

Yep. 1/4 second before I pressed shutter release, another bird had decided on a fight. Here's the rather interesting surreal birds cropped out.

I'm now in a thoroughly depressed mood, with regards photography. Birds fly off just as I'm about to press shutter release.

This mood only depended as we walked down into Cressbrook dale and spotted a large party of walkers. And by large I mean huge. They just kept coming down from the head of the dale to our right. No creature in its right mind would hang around with that many people.

This is what the tail enders looked like from the south (high) end of the dale, where we sat eating our lunch.

It turns out they were Polish men, women and children belonging to some organisation. They were staying at a local camp site and were on a sort of treasure hunt. 400-500 of the politest, nicest people, with the most well behaved children we have ever met on a walk.

We wended our way down Cressbrook dale, hearing but not seeing birds. There was a large amount of Ash die back. I've never seen so much. However, I was heartened to see that some Ash trees had immunity, and there were saplings growing - presumably with immunity inherited from their parents.

And so we hit Millers Dale. I was quite excited at this point. A birder we met at Tansley dale said that he had seen a family of Dippers on the River Wye, plus a sleeping juvenile Tawny owl. Showed us a photo of the latter.

So we kept our eyes peeled, especially along any white water. Only we spotted nowt. Not a sausage or a dip. Though, Mike B, we intend walking the western part of a Tideswell walk on Wednesday, taking in more of the western bit of the Wye, so we might see Dippers yet!

I did, however, spot this. The first time I have ever seen one.

Yes, a Mandarin duck. Seriously, I've never seen one. Glad I had lugged my long lens around. Worth the effort I feel.

A cloud decided to obscure the sun, whilst I photographed the duck. I think that's rubbing salt into wounds with regards photography. The duck joined in with salt rubbing, as it climbed on to the opposite bank of the Wye, under some trees, which cast shade. Sigh. I persevered with photographing the duck.

It did return to the Wye.

After reeling off a few more shots, I decided enough was enough. We were nearing the end of our walk, and wanted to get home as we were getting tired.

Turning into Tideswell dale, I had one last photography opportunity. A reasonably sedate Peacock butterfly. Better than nowt, I figured.

• A familiar tale of many a birder Angus, but told well, with some super pictures, despite the shade the Mandarin is a stunner. Did you work out what the birds at the wall were? Thanks for sharing :o)

• Lovely photos Angus. The Mandarin ducks look like painted porcelain products. Lovely colours, you captured them well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The Mandarin duck was a great find, I have also only ever seen one in the wild. A nice Peacock butterfly to finish off with Slight smile

• "There was a large amount of Ash die back."

Same around the dales surrounding Hartington.

New growth trees may not be immune. They just haven't been infected yet.

• Well done Angus. You persevered and was rewarded with some cracking shots of the Mandarin Duck ... Thumbsup. I've only ever seeen a few, they are so unreal somehow.

• Thank you everybody. I'm overwhelmed by your response.

Onwards with today's excursion.

Decisions, decisions. Both the Met Office and Beeb predicted a day of wall-to-wall sunshine and temperatures hitting 21C. We were pretty pooped after our five dales walk, and couldn't face the prospect of steep ascents and descents, yomping across a blasted windswept moorland landscape, with the sun beating down on us relentlessly. 21C is a heatwave, as we were used to 14-16C temperatures.

But after feed and watering, plus a hot bath and good night's sleep, we figured we had to go for it, especially as the weather was predicted to deteriorate. We'd cope with the sun for the glorious views we were assured of. Luckily, the old girl got a super night's sleep, was up at the unheard of hour of 6:30am, and so we were able to get to Fairholmes car park by 9:15am, rather than 10:00am.

The place was heaving! I couldn't believe it, and we managed to bag one of the last spaces available. We would have had to park about a mile down the road, had we arrived at 10:00am.

This is where we were.

Derwent reservoir, where 617 Sqn practiced dropping Sir Barnes Wallis's bouncing bomb.

We made our way over to the west tower (left most in photo), where we found a small area of water in which were some Canada geese and goslings. The Memsaab goes all gooey at small, fluffy things, so I was obliged to photograph them.

I soon abandoned her to coo over the brood, and wandered off. I had spotted something a great deal more interesting: a bird of prey landing around the crenellations of the west tower.

It was then, as I focused on to the crenellations, that I uttered words penned by the great Bard himself: "I should have brought my long lens!" Can you see the Kestrel preening itself? And note the nest box. It or its mate flew into said box. Perhaps it was a male delivering some food to a female rearing chicks.

Yes, I had my Sigma 18-300mm lens. I didn't fancy lugging my long lens up a steep rise and across grim moorland. In actuality, the big lens wouldn't have really made a huge difference to getting a good close up of the Kestrel.

After a bit more preening, the bird flew up a bit. Took a bit of a rest, then flew off.

East tower.

Base of dam itself.

Not much was seen as we made our way up to be level with the reservoir. With such slim pickings from previous days, I decided to photograph anything. Like this drake Mallard having a kip on the dam wall. Here it is from the dam side.

And now the water side.

All thoughts of being roasted under a boiling hot sun were soon dispelled as we encountered a very cold, stiff breeze along the reservoir. We endured it, and lack of wildlife, as we trudged to our footpath (quite cunningly hidden) to the moorland. Once free of the tree line, the cold wind neatly cancelled out the hot sun.

In here there is a bird. Any ideas what it is? I heard a lot of them singing away, but always hidden.

As usual, the birds stayed at a distance. A Skylark

They seemed quite lazy, and sang from trees and saplings. They were definitely highly wary.

I think this is a whinchat.

Here I am.

And again.

By now, over two hours into our walk, I was desperate to photograph any wildlife.

I decided the old girl was suitable.

She'd be pretty wild if she found out I'd posted a photograph of her on social, so let's keep mum, shall we?  

We're stomping towards Lost Lad, where we sheltered behind the cairn to partake of our lunch.

Onward we waddled towards Black Tor et al.

I spotted this creature by the side of the path.

I decided it needed rescuing, especially as I'd seen many a squashed millipede along the footpath. I persuaded it onto a piece of paper (I ain't picking up any furry caterpillar. No idea if it has poisonous hairs or not.)  and launched it on its only flying experience....into a rather sad looking Bilberry. It scuttled off.

The suggested length of time to complete the walk was 3 1/2 hours - 4 hours if lunch is included. I figured we'd  miss most of the afternoon sun, especially as the last leg of the walk would be in tree cover.

4 Hours after starting our walk we had not even begun our descent. The lovely keen, biting north easter had now turned into a mellow, gentle summer breeze. We were being roasted. To make matters worse, I hadn't managed to photograph any wildlife. I could hear Curlews, Skylarks galore, and lots of other bird song. Saw a Grey Partridge, and a Kestrel stooping. But nothing I could photograph.

Lots of scenery shots, though.

We finally made tree cover, during our descent, much to the old girl's relief. We stopped for a bit for a little rest. Descending a steep, rocky incline is murder on the knees. As she rested, I gawped around looking for anything to photograph.

Then I spotted this. It was sitting on its haunches, staring at us. Only by the time I got my camera up and focused, the blighter started hopping off.

The limitations of my Sigma 18-300mm lens at 300mm are a little apparent, even with the sterling Canon R7 behind it. Anyway, I tracked the beastie or rather the R7 did - I panned and pointed it in the general direction of the beast.

Remainder are uncropped.

We were both chuffed to bits at seeing a hare, plus so close.

Descending further, I spotted some interesting song birds on a dry stone wall. As usual they flew off, ducking down t'other side of wall.

Hah, I was not to be defeated. I crept up to where I'd last seen them, and slowly peered over the wall. I was rewarded with this. OK, my long lens would have done a far better job, but then I would have had to haul the heavy beast around.

Nothing more was photographable until we started the last leg along the reservoir to Derwent dam.

For those who like cute and cuddly, some Greylag geese and goslings

Plus the ever present covids.

And finally... a bit of funny

Now somewhat terse.

I suppose 40 shillings sounds more daunting than two pounds. Least ways the owners thought so...

• I was wondering what took longer to do Angus, this post or the walk Joy. Great job documenting it, both the photo's and the text. You had very nice weather for it.